Dear Lord Protect me from the Irony



A couple of months ago I posted a series of rants about Oprah Winfrey and her promotion of the absurd DVD, book, and multilevel marketing scam called 'The Secret'

"The Secret" of the Bullshit
Meet Aleister Crowley and Oprah Winfrey
The Secret of the Bullshit Revealed
My Final 'Secret' post, I swear

Since this post isn't actually about 'The Secret' per se, I will continue. The main point I was getting at in my series of rants was how spiritually devoid was the message that this grotesque materialistic philosophy transmitted.

One piece of irony arises when you make a post ranting about how much you hate something. It seems the very next moment Google Adsense starts popping up advertisements on your blog promoting the same idea you are trying to shout down.

After I finished ranting about 'The Secret' I later started ranting about fundamentalist Christianity since I became quite affected when I watched the documentary film titled 'Jesus Camp'.

"The 'Holy' Bible?"
"Just a few kooks?"

So, where does the irony fit in?

Well, I was uploading a couple of new photographs onto the site when I noticed the following Google AdSense advertisment at the top of my main page:

"The Secret" : Looking for The truth? Jesus is His name.

Out of curiosity I clicked the link. I wondered, did some Christians pay money for Google advertising just to counteract the Oprah Winfrey inspired 'Secret' sensation?

The page it went to didn't make sense to me. It was titled 'Advantage Conferences' and didn't seem to have anything to do with the advertisement to start with.

Then I clicked on the 'The Product' tab. As I read through the material I began to feel shock and awe at what I was hearing.

Let's share some sample quotes:

"The flagship Advantage Conferences product - is a one-of-a-kind, two-day event where attendees absorb real-life stories, lessons, strategies, and advice from bona fide Christian millionaires."

"This information is presented by actual Christian millionaires, sharing exactly what they've done to succeed. "

  • How I became a millionaire
  • The role my faith played in my success

"The Opportunity: What will I be doing to make $7,000 over and over? Our goal is for you to make $7,000.00 over and over again and a minimum of $100,000 in income over the next year - with a realistic potential to make much, much more. The best way for us to achieve this goal is to place a powerful system in your hands, then train you fully to utilize and prosper from the system.

Your role is to become a professional "inviter" - to send as many people through the Simple 3-Step System as possible. Much of our ongoing training focuses on how to accomplish exposure of your business to thousands of people on a consistent basis. "




As I struggle to cope with ontological ironic shock I shudder to think of what new adsense ads are going to show up once this post hits the web.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Wow- yeah that is pretty crappy. As for Oprah. My hubby got denied life insurance through state farm because he has social anxiety disorder. Even though he is fine and never had any problems with it. They told him it was and this was the agents exact words, "It is because Oprah wrote an article on the dangers of medications used for social anxiety disorder" so they no longer insure people with it. Yup... Oprah rules the world, and apprently she's a doctor too!
Widow's Son said…
What's especially sad is that "social anxiety disorder" didn't even exist until a drug was created to "treat" it.

Before that, people were just nervous or shy.

Now the phaRxmaceutical companies are turning even pregnancy into a disease!


Widow's Son
Burning Taper.com

Popular posts from this blog

Planetside Screenshots

Ten Reasons *NOT* to become a Freemason

How to become a Freemason?