Well, I had my last outdoor movie showing of the year this evening. I showed my brand new mint condition copy of the classic comedy "Mr. Mom" with Michael Keaton and Terri Garr. I even went so far as to do a showing on the boat. We had one other boat tie up next to us, and in the middle of the second reel, another pontoon boat tied up on the other side.

Before the feature, we screened the cartoon short "Bugs Bunny Rides Again" and the classic comedy routine of Abbot and Costello "Who's on first".

I have been trying, and trying, to take some photographs that can somehow convey just how awesome it looks to watch a movie projected on an 11ft screen out in the middle of the lake at night. This evening, I messed with the digital camera, and finally found an exposure setting that let me take some pictures that look pretty good. Of course, they are rather blurry since I had to turn off the flash and increase the exposure, but the color and and backgrounds really show through.

Getting the projector and screen set up..

Just to demonstrate the scale of how large this tripod screen is, here is Isaac Solomon standing in front of it.

A last shot of the sunset before it was dark enough to showing.

Here is a shot from the beginning of the film, where Michael Keaton is in a car factory with sparks flying. The image on the screen is blurry, but contrast this against the background lights and reflections on the lake. Simply awesome! Click on the image to see a full size photograph.

A shot of Terri Garr, suspended in space. As cool a backdrop as any drive-in theatre.

One final photo that turned out fairly nice.

Next we have decided to gut and redecorate our basement. I plan to set it up so I can do theatre seating this winter for movie showings.

That's all for this evening.

Popular posts from this blog

Planetside Screenshots

Ten Reasons *NOT* to become a Freemason