Score!!! I just won the complete Bankin/Rass edition of "The Hobbit" on 16mm! Three 1200 foot reels!! I couldn't believe all of these bozo's bidding on the auction for a week, propping it up $2 bids a time, even down to the last few minutes. I am absolutely certain that the idiot who lost the auction to me by my $2 over-bid in the last 4 seconds is steaming. Well, live and learn, he should have bought his own copy of 'Auction Sentry'.

I can't wait to get the film. Now if I can just score "The Secret of NIMH" I will be totally set.

Update: Crap, "The Secret of NIMH" auction was cancelled by Ebay, and the seller already sold it to someone else. He told me this morning he might get another copy of it, and would let me make an offer on it.

Nothing official yet, but I think I might have a formal showing of "The Hobbit" the weekend before "The Lord of the Rings" comes out. I don't know about you guys, but I have always enjoyed the Rankin/Bass version of the story. It's a fairly complete telling and even though the quality of the animation is a bit poor, the artwork itself is very well done. I always liked the way they chose to draw Gollum.

There is some interesting activity in the 16mm realm these days. A few different sellers just showed up out of the blue with incredible titles for sale. The most suprising one is this guy 'movieinvestments' with a feedback rating of one who, out the the blue, started listing *NEW RELEASES* for sale?!? Including stuff like "The Perfect Storm", "Men in Black 2", "Antz", "A Bugs Life", "Road to Eldorado", "Silence of the Lambs", "Scooby Doo", and "Galaxy Quest."

This is simply unheard of, because these films are supposed to be destroyed. The movie studios insist that all prints be destroyed, by being cut in half with a bandsaw. The newest films we normally trade are no later than about 1985. That supply of films typically comes from various rental companies, before this policy was instituted. So, for these films to become available, somebody broke some serious laws that can get you into very big trouble.

Nevertheless, the prints are out there and the auctions haven't been cancelled yet. I'm bidding on them, though my chances of actually winning any of them is probably around zero.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Planetside Screenshots

Ten Reasons *NOT* to become a Freemason