Terry is slowly getting better. It was a pretty rough few days for her though. I think Alex had a great birthday. On Saturday he had two friends come over and one spend the night. The Solomons were kind enough to show up with a Birthday cake and a great present. Alex got a snowboarding game for the X-Box that he had a blast playing with his friends. Yesterday was his birthday and I took him out to go shopping for his present. He wanted a personal portable stereo, and some CD's. He got a cool little CD player that also has an AM/FM receiver and can play CD-R. He bought himself a 'Smashmouth" CD and an Al Yankovick comedy album. I then helped Alex get his science fair project wrapped up so he could enjoy the rest of his 10th birthday. In the afternoon I took Alex bowling for three games! Later this summer Alex is going to go to Florida for the rest of his 10th birthday celebration.

We had Infiniplex come out to the house, but one look at our roof scared the guy off. Hopefully the weather will be better and they can come back out later in the week and get us wired. I'm thinking about getting a WAN adapter for my notebook so I can have internet access all around the house including, of course, poolside.

I kind of 'accidentally' won an Ebay auction that I had impulse bid on, thinking I would never win. It was for an allegedly 'near mint' copy of "War of the Worlds". I won it for $319. Earlier in the week a copy of "War of the Worlds" was bid up to $2,500 and still didn't meet the reserve price. The one I won is an 'Eastman' print which, apparently, greatly decreases it's value since Eastman stock is known to fade. I will probably have a showing of the film over the summer and then sell it next fall. The guy who sold me the faded copy of "Mary Poppins" has promised to send me a discount. If he comes through on it I believe that will be a fair settlment of the matter. Hopefully a faded copy of Mary Poppins is worth the $150 I will have paid. Again, I'll probably sell it in the fall, and hopefully get my money back. I am really going to have to do some more research on film stock, since I don't completely understand the massive variations in price based on it.

On Saturday a guy came to my house to pick up one of his auction items. Apparently there is a very modest 16mm film collector community in the St. Louis area. Roughly about 5 people I believe, myself, Rob, Eric, a guy named 'Movie Max', and some other guy who collects and sells films. It's suprpising to me the wide diversity of things people collect. Since we share such a passion for this hobby, I imagine that this little group will socialize a bit as we each have our own movie showings. I'm really looking forward to scheduling my 'film festival' for this upcoming year. I have enough A-list features to really put on some great events!

This weekend the Catholic church is holding their annual Valentines Day dance, dinner, and auction. Hopefully Terry will feel well enough to enjoy it. It's a lot of fun, and I'm really looking forward to it. If you browse my sidebar, or go down far enough in my weblog, you will find my 4,000 word essay on 'fund raisers', including a whole section on the Valentines Day auction.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Planetside Screenshots

Ten Reasons *NOT* to become a Freemason