A Call to Service



This evening I joined the Lake Saint Louis Lions Club. I recently found out that a Lions Club had formed within our own community. As much as I enjoy my involvement in Freemasonry none of my lodges are directly within Lake Saint Louis itself. I like the idea of being in a service organization that meets within the community association club house and is dedicated to not only serving the causes of the International body but also right in our own town.

I am looking forward to my involvement in the Lions Club and I am hoping I can get a few of my neighbors and buddies to join. Let's face it, Freemasonry isn't for everybody but that doesn't mean an individual shouldn't feel a call to service within their local community.

This brand new Lions Club, chartered for barely six months, has already raised more money in that time, and distributed it directly to their charities, than my lodge has in the past year. This Lions Club only has 18 members and was eager to see me at their event. I have to admit that a charitable business meeting goes a lot faster when you don't open on all three degrees and then close with yet more ritual.

I have been fortunate to hold a stable job for the past couple of years that doesn't generally have me working insane hours. I am allowed to work from home a couple of days a week which provides the opportunity for me to not only get a great deal of work done but also attend a meeting in the evening. If I were to have to deal with a job change it would probably disrupt a lot of my involvement in these organizations but, at the same time, it would give me a support structure that would help ease any traumatic transition.

The Lions Club of Lake Saint Louis is comprised of both men and women. In general they seemed a little bit older than me but nothing dramatic. My greatest disappointment is that even though we live an extremely affluent community with a large population of retirees hardly any will join a service group. It appears, in general, these retired individuals do *not* feel a call to service. The act worn out, as if they have spent a lifetime doing that sort of thing and now just want to play bridge, golf, and rest. All I know for sure is that when I retire you will have trouble keeping track of the number of Shriner Parades I will be participating in.

The Lions Club meets twice a month and just voted on an additional social meeting. They promote a healthy mix of fund-raising activities with fellowship that includes both husband and wife.

This does lead me to another point. I have joined a lot of organizations in the past two years. Not only have I not burned out but I continue to accumulate badges and emblems for the back of my car. The reason I have been able to balance this is that I keep careful track of my time and how much I am willing to commit to any particular cause. For some I may do little more than pay my dues, and for others I make a larger commitment. In the end there is rarely an occasion when I devote an evening to a service group and regret that I didn't spend that time watching television or other leisure activities. It helps that my children are older and I don't have to worry about babysitters or soccer games.; just a few band concerts that I greatly enjoy.

Even though the Lions Club is a non-Masonic organization I felt compelled to join and contribute because of the lessons we are taught and reminded in our regular meetings and ceremonies.

As you can see, my calendar in now very, very, full. Monday's, I play Tennis, Tuesday is Lions Club, Wednesday is Wentzville Lodge, Thursday is Napthali Lodge, Friday is my religious discussion group, Saturday..well Saturday is open to fullfill all of the service committments I made in the previous meetings, and Sunday is DeMolay.






Lions Club International
Membership: 1.3 million worldwide.
International Charity: vision
Local Charities: Based on need directly within the local community.
Meetings: 1st and 3rd Tuesday of the Month
Other time committments: Social meetings, service for fundraising events.
Dues: $60 per year.



The International Order of DeMolay (I am a Chapter Advisor to Troy DeMolay where my son Alex is a member)
Worldwide membership: 50,000-100,000 ?? (not exactly certain)
Dues: $40 per year for advisor. None for members.
Charity: At the local level. A lot of service within the Masonic community.
Meetings: 1st and 3rd Sunday of the Month.
Additional time commitment: State Conclave, State Installation, Official Visits, numerous other Installations, service committments for fund raisers, fun events.


Blue Lodge Freemasonry in Missouri
Junior Deacon, Wentzville Lodge #46
Senior Warden, Napthali Lodge #25
Worldwide membership: Approximately 4 million.
Missouri Membership: 50,000
State Charity: The Masonic Home (Senior Citizens center and outreach program)
Local charities: Boyscouts, Food Pantry, others.
Dues: Approximately $60 per lodge per year.
Time Commitment: 1st and 3rd Wednesday of the Month for Wentzville and the 3rd Thursday of the month for Napthali.
Additional time commitment: Lodge of Instruction every Sunday (I do not always attend), Investigations, Grand Lodge (two days), Installations and other Masonic service events (numerous throughout the year).



Scottish Rite Valley of Saint Louis
Worldwide and local membership: I don't know..
Charity: Hearing impairment.
Time comittment: One weekend to join.
Additional time commitment: none required but it is generally expected you will at least attend and particpate in the two ceremonials each year.
Dues: $75 per year.



Shiners of North America
Total membership worldwide and local: I'm not certain.
Charity: The Shiners Hospital (the greatest charity in the world, just ask anyone who has been helped by them). Orthopedics and burn centers.
Dues: $120 a year plus generally expected to purchase Circus Tickets for $200 or so.
Time commitment: None required. I attend a few charity events throughout the year. I look forward to greater involvement when I am retired or semi-retired.


The Sword of Bunker Hill
Worldwide membership: Unknown.
Charity: None that I am aware of.
Time commitment: Once to be initiated and usually once a year to watch your friends be initiated.
Dues: none. Initiation fee covers lifetime membership.
Why join? To be reminded that men should not take themselves too seriously and that we truly are all on the level. Also to be reminded of the great sacrifices made by revolutionary heroes, many of whom were Masons.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Great blog, call me anytime to discuss it. Here is my home number. You can call me collect too. 1-516-249-5314

Sincerely,
Carol Masters
carolmas@yahoo.com

Popular posts from this blog

Planetside Screenshots

Ten Reasons *NOT* to become a Freemason

How to become a Freemason?