How to become a Freemason?



I decided to make a post this evening based on an analysis of blog track-backs to this site. Over the past month or so I get a significant amount of traffic every day from people who type in any one of the following search phrases:



    • "How to become a Freemason"
    • "Why become a Freemason"
    • "Why not to become a Freemason"

I suppose this blog has been around long enough that it is slowly moving up the search rankings on Google. I have written on this topic in the past but I want to start fresh here. I decided I would provide some simple basic answers without resorting to lame attempts at sarcasm or humor.

"How to become a Freemason?"

Well, the standard answer is 'ask one'. Of course, that can be hard to do if you don't know one. Seriously, the best way to 'become' a Freemason is to ask someone who is a Freemason. You will generally be amazed at their positive response.

If you don't know any Freemasons, well it is about time you did. There are several ways to do so. Is there a lodge in your area? Perhaps you have seen it with the square and compass on the front?

Most lodges have their meeting times posted. Just show up at the building about 45 minutes before the meeting is supposed to start. When you walk in, introduce yourself and tell them you are interested in becoming a Freemason. In almost all cases you will be greeted warmly and someone will arrange a follow up meeting. You will be asked to leave that meeting of course, but at least now you 'know' some Freemasons.

If you are unsure of lodges in your area, use Google Earth and then do a local search on 'Freemason Lodge'. This will give you an area perspective.

Another way is to just search for websites and send an email to an area lodge. Someone will contact you and arrange a meeting to discuss things with you.

All that said, the best way is to ask someone you know personally who is a Freemason. Ask around, bring up the topic for discussion, hopefully one of your friends will know someone who is a Freemason and introduce you.

An important decision when joining is which lodge you join. This can make a big difference in your experience.

You may not necessarily just want to join the lodge that is closest to where you live. Look for a lodge that is healthy and growing (you can ask these kinds of questions, like total membership and how many new members they get each year). If you know of a prestigious lodge; one that has been in existence for over 150 years and meets in a grand building, I would certainly recommend that experience. A big part of the appeal of Freemasonry is connecting with its history, tradition, and heritage. A lodge that meets downtown in a grand facility can make the experience unique. Or, if you just want to hang out with guys close by in your community that can work out as well.

I belong to two lodges, one out where I live and one lodge downtown that meets in a magnificent facility.

“Why become a Freemason?”

The best and simplest answer to this question is that you want to become a better person. The theme of Freemasonry is that it makes good men better. It is a requirement to join that you be a man of good character and have references that can vouch to that effect. Whoever recommends you to the lodge must be of a high opinion regarding your character.

Within the framework of the lodge you will receive educational instruction and encouragement which will, if followed, make you a better person. It speaks to issues of duty, moral conduct, honor, and charity.

There are other good reasons to join as well. You join because you want to be more involved in your community. You join because you want to be a part of an ancient tradition that has a rich history and stands for ideas that you believe strongly in. You join because you want to make new friends who are likewise of good character to form a bond of shared friendship.

Finally, one of the most pleasurable aspects of the Fraternity (and it is, in the end, simply a Fraternity) is that you can visit Freemason lodges all over the country and even the world. At each lodge you will be greated as a long lost brother and treated with the utmost hospitality. This is a truly gratifying experience. Of course, you would return the same favor to any brother visiting your lodge in turn.

“Why not to become a Freemason?”

A few months ago I made a satirical post on this topic. It was a bit heavy handed and I was trying to be funny. This time I will get more to the point.

Don’t join if you are not interested in making yourself a ‘better person’.

Don’t join if you are not interested in tradition, history, and ceremony.

Don’t join if you are not interested in charity or service.

Don’t join if you cannot state a belief in God.

Don’t join if you cannot be tolerant of other people’s religious beliefs.

Don’t join if you like to get into political debates and raucous arguments and are generally a disruptive person.

Don’t join if you care so much about what other people think about you that you won’t do something even if you know it is right. In other words, there is a lot of nonsense on the Internet about Freemasonry. Just because a relative or friend has a negative and uniformed opinion about the institution and you react so strongly that you would let it affect your own choices; you might as well not even bother to join. You do need to be a man who is capable of making up his own mind and standing for your own beliefs.

Even though Freemasonry is not a religious institution, and is open to men of all religious faiths, don’t join if you subscribe to a fundamentalist religion that doesn’t allow it. For example, the Roman Catholic church is officially ‘against’ Freemasonry and does not want its members to join. If you believe that is a problem for you, then don’t petition a lodge. However, the Roman Catholic Church tells people to do a whole lot of things that not every individual member follows as dogma. Just remember that Freemasonry itself doesn’t care. Men who subscribe to all religious faiths may join.

Don’t join if you are a rabid atheist. There really wouldn’t be any point to it. If you are a material reductionist and believe the Universe is composed of tiny billiard ball atoms ping-ponging around, and that all of life and consciousness is composed of nothing more than irreducible parts then, well, to be honest you aren’t going to get much out of it.

However, if you believe the Universe is a grand creation, if you believe in the quantum uncertainty principle, super-string theory, the zero point field, or any of a wide variety of modern concepts in physics that demonstrates that reality is not so much composed of ‘things’ but rather patterns of energy in hyperspace, then I think you will find Freemasonry fits the bill. Education in Freemasonry makes frequent references to the logic, reason, science, and rational thought. Freemasonry brought the Enlightenment afterall. No one will ask you to define your belief in God but merely that you proclaim a belief in a higher power.

Don’t join if you cannot keep a confidence or honor a trust.

Don’t join if you are dishonest.


That’s pretty much it. If you have any questions, feel free to send me an email at any time and I will be happy to give you some guidance.

If you want to know some more, I strongly recommend you purchase a copy of the book ‘Freemasons for Dummies’ as it is an excellent introduction to the Fraternity.

Finally, I would like to make note of a new Masonic Weblog called Small Town Texas Masons. This is a wonderful blog that I highly recommend.

Comments

Jeff said…
John,

What a wonderful post. I hope this is a helpful start for those considering joining.

I have a friend who asked me to join, but since he's a friend on the Internet one of the problems he had is he doesn't know any Masons from his local area. And, local Masons are required when petitioning to be recommenders, (usually two, depending on jursidiction) Some Lodges, like my own, hold an informal get-together in the mornings for coffee(bleck!) and a time to chit-chat. For those considering it: Find out if your local Lodge has a similar arrangement, and this would be an excellent time and place to meet those Masons so that you can have all the requirements handled ahead of time.
Anonymous said…
I live in Queens, NYC and I am interested in becoming a Freemason. I'm soon to be 19 and would like to join a lodge that would best help me in the business world since thats where I want to go. I do not know or am not aware of any Freemasons. I believe I am of good character and ethical in what I do. If The is any one who could give me a few pointers My E-mail is Maleibobo@aol.com, and my name is Vasya. Thank you.
Anonymous said…
Hi,I'm 12 and would like to know more email me at privatesalem@yahoo.com thanks
Unknown said…
very interesting. would like to join. I live in Tanzania, Africa. Dar es Salaam, specifically. email me some contact sir. thanks. email address on my blog. nice piece.
Anonymous said…
THANK YOU...!!!

BEST REGARDS

RAUL MATUTE
...
Anonymous said…
Greetings, Your post is very enlighting and also engaging in the quest to becoming a freemason.I have been curious for a while but did not know the path to freemason membership.I am African-American and wondering does that dispute my interest in joining?
Yes, an African American can become a Freemason. You might be interested to know that many African Americans choose to join Prince Hall Masonry, which has been part of their cultural tradition.

Best of luck,

John
Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said…
Jeff, Thanks for the great insight on joining the Freemason.
Anonymous said…
hello I am 24 years old and have wanted to join a lodge for a few years now. I live in michigan. If anyone has any information please contact me at Lonsway2003@yahoo.com
Anonymous said…
I really want to be one of the masons...contact me pls pls pls...purity_ozaha@yahoo.com
nyuki said…
yes iam very interested i want join i live in dar es salaam tanzania please email me some specific contact
Unknown said…
hello i live in queens new york and i am interested in freemasonry. My grandfather was a 33rd degree freemason and my grandmother and mother were both eastern stars. like everyone else i am looking to make myself a better man and i believe that freemasonry can help me become the better man and person that i need to become.
Please read the following post for detailed information on how to become a Freemason.

http://jratcliffscarab.blogspot.com/2009/09/how-to-become-freemason.html
Unknown said…
Hi John,

I am from Scotland and would be interested in joining the freemasons. I believe there are a lot of freemasons in Scotland but I don't know any. Please could you advise on my next steps and could you possibly advise of any good lodges.

Thanks in advance.
Unknown said…
This has been a wonderful read, I've been wanting to join for a long time I am now 21 and Freemasonry Has been in my family for many decades despite skipping my father. But he has always talked of relatives that had been apart of such a great brotherhood. I'm hoping to get accepted at my local lodge but i dk know of a member personally but my sisters apartment owner is a brother of the local lodge and hope he may be of some help.
Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ehsan HDN said…
I'd like to be a freemason.i am 15 and i live in iran.i know there were freemason's in iran in the past,but i am not sure they exist anymore.
if anyone can give me instruction plz contact me at ehsanhed2005@gmail.com
thank you.
Anonymous said…
bible and bible alone trust jesus the son of leaving god
Anonymous said…
only heavenly GOD can serve us and deliver us from ths wicked evil doers of satanic b and satanism GOD IS OUR REFUGE AND REDEMER
Anonymous said…
john

my names are ishlmwe gilbert.
i am from tanzania and i would like to join freemasons coz i want to be a graety man.so how can you help me coz am so ineed of it!pleas help me.
Anonymous said…
my name is fred i am a tannzanian i would like to join the fraternity so that i will be a better man in future,so e-mail me through gecs_45@yahoo.co.uk
Will D said…
"if you believe the Universe is a grand creation, if you believe in the quantum uncertainty principle, super-string theory, the zero point field, or any of a wide variety of modern concepts in physics that demonstrates that reality is not so much composed of ‘things’ but rather patterns of energy in hyperspace"

One of these things is not like the others. I'll give you a hint. It is the part that implies a creator.
Actually, I write computer video games for a living.

But thanks for thinking I'm a banker, I think that might be a compliment.

Maybe.

John
nowxrated said…
Very very interested in joining the brotherhood v^ I'm in flatbush brooklyn new york..don't know mush about being a mason..but I am of great character willin to better myself as a man..please email me nowxrated@yahoo.com nowxrated43@gmail.com or aim. Ikipswaggin or ym nowxrated
Savimbi said…
Hallow John My name is Richard Joel From Tanzania I want to become a freemason but I dont know a person who can direct me how to be a member here in my country so
NCHIMI said…
Dear jeff,
It is mostly preached in our country that freemasonry is an evil associated with blood sucrifies and other saltanic action which mostly makes people to afraid of joining.And if not why most of the freemansos activities are done in great secrecy and members does not want to show them in the society to be known as the freemason why?.
I used to see the freemason house at the city of Dar es salaam -Tanzania but never one has seen them get in that building and let people know what activities takes on there and any ghost actions are associated with this group.
It is my hope you will let me know more about free masons and its activities how people get in becomes very successfull and rich man.
stephen said…
hi john can you you help me to become a freemason. thats my dream and i promised to my self that i will never join any fraternernity exccept freemason since i was in college.I know a few things about mason and thats my belief that there is a suopreme being the creator, i have a good character im a teacher backhome(Philippines)now im here in canada and still hoping to become a freemason and i promise that i will be a good freemason. tnx aiko 46
Anonymous said…
Thank you so much for this post. I've recently taken a huge interest in the freemasons and was considering joining, but had no clue as to how or even why I should. This is exactly what I needed. Thank you very much.

Chris.
Unknown said…
my name is malik and i wanted to become a freemason my contact no is +923009265098 and email adress is
luckyguy_647@hotmail.com
PrayGod Israel said…
IAM A TANZANIA MEN OF 30YEARS I LIKE TO BECOME A FREEMASON MEMBER BUT I DONOT HOW TO BECOME A MEMBER AND WHERE THERE IS A TEMPLE OF THE FREEMASON ESPECIALLY IN KILIMANJARO IF YOU DIRECT ME I WILL BE VERY HAPPY
Tyler said…
If i absolutely believe in a higher power who we know as "God" but dont necassarilly agree what some of the bible says, or more so its outlook entirely not its content. Would that be considered Atheism? Its not like i dont believe there is no higher power, and i love to talk and listen about new sciences and breakthroughs ect. I was interested in this and Just want to be sure i dont join something that wouldnt fit me, y'know? Thanks in advance for an answer!
Not believing in the Bible does not make a person an atheist. The Bible is a religious book in two parts; the old testament and the new testament. The Old Testament is primarily centered around one ancient desert tribe and the New Testament forms the core of one particular religion; Christianity.

The world is filled with religions; those are just two of them. You don not have 'believe in the Bible' or subscribe to any particular religion, including having no religion at all, to join the Freemasons. You simply are required to profess a belief in God; whatever that means to you personally. And no one will ask you any more about it, as religious discussion is forbidden in a Freemason lodge (as is politics; two topics which do not foster 'brotherly love').

All that said, be forewarned, that the Bible is used extensively in Freemason ceremonies; but that is simple a reflection of the culture that the fraternity arose from. It is part of the Western European tradition and the Bible pretty much comes along for the ride.

That said, you don't have to believe in the Bible or take any of it literally, to be a member of the Fraternity.

I hope this answers your questions.

John
Anonymous said…
Dear John
Thank you so much for this post. I've recently taken a huge interest in the freemasons and was considering joining, but had no clue as to how or even why I should. This is exactly what I needed. Thank you very much.I do not know or am not aware of any Freemasons. I believe I am of good character and ethical in what I do. If The is any one who could give me a few pointers My E-mail is emmanyatta@yahoo.com
thanks.
Emmanuel John
Tyler said…
Well that certaintly answers my question, thank you John. I might be joining a few years from now maybe. I still got my entire life ahead of me considering im only 17 haha
Anonymous said…
dear mr john i am very itrested to join freemason igelieve to all stated above and you is the first person i try to cominicate with you you can guide me to succeese my e-mail imtaita@yahoo.com
ismail mtaita said…
Thank you so much for this post. I've recently taken a huge interest in the freemasons and was considering joining, but had no clue as to how or even why I should. This is exactly what I needed. Thank you very much.I do not know or am not aware of any Freemasons. I believe I am of good character and ethical in what I do. If The is any one who could give me a few pointers my e-mail is imtaita@yahoo.com

Popular posts from this blog

Planetside Screenshots

Ten Reasons *NOT* to become a Freemason