Baraka showing on Friday, October 20th



Baraka, directed by Ron Fricke, Cinematographer Godfrey Reggio, Music by Michael Stearns

This is one of the most incredible films, and works of art, ever created. It is a 90 minute meditation that will produce a deep and profound impact on the viewer. This is a non-verbal film; containing only breathtaking images and haunting music to tell the story. And there is a story within it, one that unfolds differently for every viewer based on their personal culture and beliefs.

I have been a great fan of this film for many years. I did watch Koyaanisqatsi many years ago at the Tivoli, but I largely found it boring. What made it worse is the 'music' (and I use that term loosely) of Philip Glass. Where Koyaanisqatsi focused on images of nature and modern landscapes Baraka keeps the camera steady on people. While a mountain may look magestic a person's face can tell an entire story.

This is not a film in any conventional sense. It is more like a work of art that you experience by viewing rather than hanging it on the wall. It is best as a shared experience with friends when you can discuss how the film impacted you afterwards. The images and music will haunt you for days if not years afterwards.

I first watched Baraka many years ago; the film was made in 1983. It is 87 minutes long and, even without dialouge, it will keep you rivited beginning to end.

At the last meeting of my every-other-Friday religious discussion group I was talking about this film. When we got around to planning our next meeting the host thought it would be a fine idea to show it. He mentioned that he had a small television set he could bring into the living area. I quickly offered to take care of the audio-visual aids myself.

This film is shot in 70mm and really only deserves to be seen on something like an Imax screen. However, if you have the right equipment then even within the intimacy of a living room you can produce a powerful presentation as well.

Our host lives in what used to be an old general store and our group meets in the large space that used to house shelves stocked with goods. On Friday I will try to transform this space into a unique viewing experience for whomever I can get to show up.

I will first be setting up my 11ft diagonal tripod movie screen. For sound I have a five speaker 1,000 watt Dolby Surround system with a sub-woofer. For source I have the special release directors cut with improved audio and visuals. For projection I will be using my 1,200 Lumen InFocus DLP350 high-definition projector.

If your Friday is free in two weeks on October 20th and you want to have a truly unique and amazing visual experience please send me an email and I will get you directions to the showing. The presentation will be in Foristell, Missouri; just a few miles west of Lake Saint Louis at 7pm.

Meanwhile, on Saturday, I will be showing my 16mm scope print of 'Ghostbusters' for an area subdivision party. I am certainly looking forward to that as well. If the weather is nice I am hopeful I will have a good audience for this event.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Planetside Screenshots

Ten Reasons *NOT* to become a Freemason

How to become a Freemason?