On Friday I finished re-reading one of my favorite novels, "Songs of Earth and Power", by Greg Bear. I last read this book quite some time ago, and I really enjoyed reading it again. Greg Bear is primarily known for his science fiction, so this book is quite unusual in that it is strictly pure fantasy. On the surface the story is rather formula, a young man is trained to become a great magician. This fits the profile of a number of coming of age fantasy novels. What makes this story quite unique is that the fantasy Universe is intertwined with 'the real world' (similar to Zelazny's Amber Series), and is steeped in the quite human mythology of the fairy realm.

As some of you know, I have been following UFO mythology for quite some time, with special focus on the works of Jacques Vallee. Most relevant is Vallee's seminal work, "Passport to Magonia" "Passport to Magonia" is a non-fiction work that documents all aspects of fairy lore and often contrasts and compares it to modern UFO mythology. In Greg Bears book "Songs of Earth and Power", it is simply as if he used the mythology represented in Vallee's work as a launching point for a brilliant piece of Fantasy fiction. I still believe strongly that there remains great untapped potential in more works of fiction which use this real human mythology as it's basis. Afterall, there are entire genre's of fiction just around Vampires, so why not embrace the myth of the fairy realm as well? Maybe Greg Bear did such a good job there is no more room for another novel? I hardly think that is the case. I can envision a wide array of highly compelling story lines that could be spun from this deep mythology.

After I had finished reading the book again I was still feeling quite moved by it. I sent Greg Bear a message via his website and was honored that he actually replied to my personal email within an hour of receiving it! The internet is simply amazing. I am now re-reading another Gred Bear novel I remember enjoying called "Blood Music".

I have been reading this novel on my Ebookman, a PDA designed specifically as a book reading device. I have a love/hate relationship with the Ebookman. I love it, while it works, and I hate it as soon as it starts to flake out. I have purchased 5 Ebookmans over the last couple of years, but that is going to have to stop. The software I use to read books is called Mobipocket Reader, and it is excellent. That sofware is now available for many PDA's, so I have decided to get a new device in hopes it has more durability than the Ebookman has shown.

The PDA I purchased, off of Ebay of course, is called a Dell Axim X5 Handheld Pocket PC. It cost me $170 off of Ebay which is a decent discount. I am looking forward to using this as my new primary book reading device. I'll have to report back on the usability once it arrives.

Well, that's a post for today. I'm heading off to the Cardinals baseball game with most of my kids, Lauren, Alex, and Johnny. Today is Edgar Renteria bobblehead day, so we certainly can't miss that.


----------------------------------------------------

Just a short update. The baseball game was great. Last night the Cardinals ended up going into extra innings untill Albert Pujols hit a two run home run in the bottom of the eleventh inning. Apparently there was some concern about todays game and, sure enough, the pitcher hit Albert with the first pitch when he came to bat. Albert said nothing and began walking towards first base. The asshole catcher, Gary Bennet, got in Alberts way and started bumping into him. At that point both benches cleared and it was probably over ten minutes till things settled down and play resumed. They ejected the asshole Pitcher, Eaton, and the asshole catcher, Bennet but, very strangely, ejected Albert when he didn't do anything. Fortunately the Padre's replacement pitcher was Luther Hackman who was a solid relief pitcher for the Cardinals last year, and he kept things calm after that. The Cardinals went on to win, giving Dan Haren, our new minor leauge pitcher, his first solid game. The 3 or 4 double plays the Cardinals defense turned sure didn't hurt his cause either. Kerry Robinson hit a triple that would have been a double for anybody else and then screamed home on a short fly ball to right field.

Today was Edgar Renteria bobble head day. We got to the stadium an hour before the game started and could barely get a parking space, so many people got there early for the game. The first 30,000 people were supposed to get bobble heads, and even though we got to the stadium an hour early, we just barely got them for the kids. My son Johnny decided he would rather get some cash than a doll so he is selling his on Ebay. Here's the link to John's auction.

Tomorrow is my last day before I leave for my trip to Seattle for the Microsoft Meltdown conference. I will be there through the end of the week, so don't expect any updates to the old blog. I will take the digital camera though. I am spending Friday with my good friend John Miles. He is treating me to a BBQ and we are going to take a day trip in his Ferrari.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Planetside Screenshots

Ten Reasons *NOT* to become a Freemason