A Masonic Thought for the Day


Right Worshipful Brother Russ Tinker, 33rd degree Scottish Rite and Master Mason Charles Ratcliff

Here is a photograph of my nephew Charlie standing with Right Worshipful Brother Russ Tinker in the foyer of the New Masonic Temple. Right Worshipful Brother Russ Tinker is about 70 years old, was in DeMolay, has been a Past Master of Troy Lodge #34, served in a number of senior Masonic positions, and was given the high honor of being elected to the 33rd degree of the Scottish Rite. Meanwhile, Brother Charles John Ratcliff is only 20 years old and was raised a Master Mason in Wentzville Lodge #46 last summer. Brother Charlie is a 'widows son' having lost his father a number of years ago. As his Uncle I enjoy the fellowship we have attending lodge together since it is always special to be involved in Masonry with your family. Charlie has found his Masonic experience to be a positive one and is welcomed with open arms by the elder brethren in the area lodges. He attends meetings regularily and hopes to be a steward next year.

Brother Russ raised me and has taken a special interest in acting as a mentor during my Masonic education. He helps me out with ritual and sends me many encouraging emails and words of advice.

The reason I am posting this is that I find it disconcerting that some of my online Masonic brethren report such negative experiences with senior members of the Fraternity and often use some fairly strong and critical language when describing their experience. They describe a relationship and generational conflict that I have not witnessed in my own Masonic experience. Here in the State of Missouri I find brethen of all ages to be open and encouraging of new members; accepting young Masons eagerly knowing they are needed to carry this ancient tradition along.

Brother Russ has a personal project in which he sends an email with a 'Masonic Thought for the Day' out to many of the brethren in the State of Missouri each day. I enjoy receiving them and I believe his message probably could, and should, be shared with a larger audience. I believe I will make a habit of posting his 'thought for the day' on this weblog from time to time.

To get things off to a start, here are a couple from the past day or so:




IN FELLOWSHIP

My foot to thy foot, howe'er thy foot may stray;
Thy path for my path, however dark the way.

My knee to thy knee, whatever by thy prayer;
Thy pleas my plea, in every need and care.

My breast to thy breast, in every doubt or hope;
Thy silence mine too, whate'er thy secret's scope.

My strength is thy strength, whenever thou shall call;
Strong arms stretch love's length, though darkness, toward thy fall!

My words shall follow thee, kindly warning, fond,
Though life, through drear death---and all that lies
beyond.


C. M. Boutelle


---------------------------------------------------------------

This poem was written by Bro. Reverend Dr. Magill, an Episcopal Priest and
Rector of St. Paul's Episcopal Church in Peru, Illinois. It reportedly was
written shortly after a lady asked him "Are You a Mason?" It is thought to
have been written in the mid to late 1800's.

"Are You a Mason?"


I am one of a band,
Who will faithfully stand,
In the bonds of
affection and love;
I have knocked at the door,
once wretched and poor,
And there for admission I stood.

By the help of a friend,
Who assistance did lend,
I succeeded an entrance to gain;
Was received in the West,
By command from the East,
But not without feeling some pain.

Here my conscience was taught,
With a moral quite fraught,
With sentiments hold and true;
The onward I traveled,
To have it unraveled,
What Hiram intended to do.

Very soon to the East,
I made my request,
And "light" by command did attend;
When lo! I perceived,
In due form revealed,
A Master, and Brother, and Friend.

For the widow
distressed,
There's a cord in my breast,
For the helpless and orphan I
feel:
And my sword I could draw,
To maintain the pure law,
Which the duties of a Mason reveal.

Thus have I revealed,
(Yet wisely concealed),
What the "free and accepted" will know.
I am one of a band,
Who will faithfully stand,
As a Brother, wherever I go.



---------------------------------------------------------
I SAT IN LODGE WITH YOU

There is a saying filled with cheer,
Which calls a man to fellowship.
It means as much for him to hear
As lies within the brother-grip.
Nay, more! It opens wide the way
To friendliness sincere and true;
There are no strangers when you say
To me: "I sat in lodge with you."

When that is said, then I am known'
There is no questioning nor doubt;
I need not walk my path alone
Nor from my fellows be shut out.
Those words hold all of brotherhood
And help me face the world anew---
There's something deep and rich and good
In this: "I sat in lodge with you."

Though in far lands one need must roam,
By sea and shore and hills and plain,
Those words bring him a touch of home
And lighten tasks that seem in vain.
Men's faces are no longer strange
But seem as those he always knew
When some one brings the joyous change
With his "I sat in lodge with you."

So you, my brother, now and then
Have often put me in your debt
By showing forth to other men
That you your friends do not forget.
When all the world seems gray and cold
And I am weary, worn and blue,
Then comes this golden thought I hold---
You said: "I sat in lodge with you."

When to the last great Lodge you fare
My prayer is that I may be
One of your friends who wait you there,
Intent your smiling face to see.
We, with the warder at the gate,
Will have a pleasant task to do;
We'll call, though you come soon or late:
"Come in! We sat in lodge with you."

Wilbur D. Nesbit



--------------------------------------------------

BUILDING

Brick by brick the Masons builded
Till the highest cross was guilded
With the glory of the sun,
Til the noble task was done.
Step by step and one by one.
Wall and rafter, roof and spire
Men were lifting every higher.
Not in some mysterious way---
With the task of every day.

Architects may do their dreaming,
See their visioned turrets gleaming
High above them in the skies;
Yet the wisdom of the wide
Cannot make one roof arise---
Hearts must sing and hands must labor,
Man must work beside his neighbor,
Brick on brick and toil on toil
Building upward from the soil.

So we build a lodge or nation,
On the firmly fixed foundation
Of a flag or craft or creed;
But on top of what we need
Many a noble thought and deed,
Day by day and all the seven,
Building slowly up to heaven,
Til our lives the lives shall seem
Of the Master Builder's dream.

Douglas Malloch

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Planetside Screenshots

Ten Reasons *NOT* to become a Freemason