I wanted to make a brief blog post on the subject of the Man Purse. Over the last year I finally reached the point where I absolutely *had* to have a purse. No way around it. The reasons for needing a man purse are clear. With PDAs, cell phones, and MP3 players, we have too many devices to fit comfortably in our pockets. It is very convenient to have these items handy wherever we go, and we need a way to carry them. Now, the Man Purse is somewhat controversial. I am interested in your opinions on the subject. Please take a look at today's Poll. (BTW, the last poll, the 'favorite classic movie' turned out to be "The Wizard of Oz"). For myself, I use a small fanny pack with St. Louis Cardinals logo on it. I figure using a sports themed purse is very manly indeed. I sling the fanny pack over my shoulder and probably look goofy as heck. All of the items listed below are not necessarily necessary. However, I find it so convenient to have them on hand, and so annoying when I want something and don't have it, that I stock a fairly full man purse on a day to day basis.

When I open up my Man Purse and take a look inside, here are the 'essential' items I like to carry around with me:

(1) MP3 player/Portable USB hard drive.
(2) USB cable for above.
(3) PDA : Franklin Ebookman, so I can read books anywhere I go.
(4) Cellphone.
(5) Extra batteries.
(6) Small headphones.
(7) Eyedrops
(8) Contact lens case.
(9) Alka Seltzer
(10) Sunglasses
(11) Breath mints
(12) Prescription medicine.
(13) AM/FM radio to listen to ballgames. (Summer only)
(14) Inkpen.
(15) Boat keys
(16) Bottle opener
(17) Glasses for when my contacts wear out.

So, you get the idea. In theory a number of these devices could be combined into one. For example, why doesn't anyone include an AM/FM radio into their MP3 player by default? I hate carrying two seperate devices. There are alternatives to the man purse. One alternative is to simply buy a pair of pants that has enough pockets to hold everything. However, I really hate searching pockets for stuff. You could also use a briefcase or a backpack. I am interested in hearing your suggestions for solving this dilema. Perhaps we should just use a properly designed man-purse? A regular old leather satchel and grin and bear it? I don't know.

Please take the web-poll and let me know your preference. Here is an excellent link to a webpage devoted to this controverial topic. Here is an example of an inexpensive man purse.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Planetside Screenshots

Ten Reasons *NOT* to become a Freemason