I need an audience!



A fantastic shot showing my favorite "I Love Lucy" episode on 16mm reflecting against the water in the swimming pool.


The best shot ever taken of my backyard dive-in theatre.



Click on the image above to see the complete list of the 17 feature films that I own on 16mm. In general each of these prints is in excellent to mint condition. I haven't posted on this blog about my passion for 16mm film in quite a while, but I still love my collection nontheless.

The only problem is that I need an audience. My friends and family have already seen all of my films and aren't really all that interested in seeing them again. In the past year I have focused mostly on adding classic cartoons to my collection. I now have enough cartoons that I could probably show them for about five hours straight. Even if I limit it just to the absolute best cartoons I still have a few hours worth.

I haven't upgraded my setup in the past year though. My Eiki Xenon projector is currently on the fritz and I really need somebody to take a look at it. I do have one movie showing scheduled for October 7th at a subdivision in the area.

Now, in general, I don't have a lot of free time but I would sure enjoy showing some of my classic Disney features to children's groups. A 16mm film showing can be a great fundraiser too. You don't have to charge for the movie, just sell popcorn, candy, and soda. Or simply ask for donations. You won't make a lot of money but it is a fun night and it will raise a few hundred dollars. If you do a movie showing on a massive scale (say for an entire grade school) you could easily raise $1,500 or more selling concessions.

It's funny, half the time when I approach people about doing a movie showing they think I am looking for a 'gig' or to make money. That is, of course, not the case. I'm just looking for an audience.

I spent a lot of money last year getting my rig set up so I could show a movie out in the middle of a forest. I was hopeful that I might do some showings for the Boyscouts. However, it seems they have their agenda so cram packed already a movie just wasn't going to fit in. I have shown movies out in the forest a couple of times in the past few years and it is always a fantastic experience.

I don't have an enormous amount of 'free' time available but, with enough advance notice, I can usually fit things into my schedule. Here is the link to my online calendar I use to schedule events.

My 16mm movie collection includes the following feature films:


"101 Dalmations" Walt Disney, 1961, Near mint condition LPP print. (G)


"Lady and the Tramp", Walt Disney, 1955, rated G. Excellent condition LPP print. (Has english subtitles) (G)


"The Secret of NIMH", Don Bluth, 1982, Great color LPP print but heavy wear. (G)


"Pinocchio", Walt Disney, 1940, Near mint condition LPP print. (G)


"The Little Mermaid", Walt Disney, 1989, Mint condition LPP print. (G)


"The Last Starfighter", Nick Castle, 1984, Near mint condition LPP print. (PG)


"The Court Jester", Directed by Melvin Frank, starring Danny Kaye, Glynis Johns, Basil Rathbone, and Angela Lansbury. Mind blowing Technicolor print, some splices and wear. (G)


"Mr. Mom", Starring Michael Keaton and Terri Garr, 1983, Near mint LPP print. (G)


"Empire of the Sun", Directed by Steven Spielberg, Starring Christian Bale and John Malkovich, 1987, MINT MINT MINT 16mm LPP print. (PG)


"Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure", Keanu Reeves, George Carlin, 1989, Excellent condition 16mm print. (first reel scope, last two flat) (PG)


"It's a Wonderful Life", James Stewart, Donna Reed, 1946, black & white, great contrast, density and sound, a few harsh splices. (G)


"The Wizard of Oz", Judy Garland, 1939, first reel black & white, second reel excellent color, last reel slightly faded. Some wear. (G)


"Ghostbusters", Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Harold Ramis, Sigourney Weaver, Rick Moranis, 1984, near-mint scope LPP print. (PG)


"Bettlejuice", Michael Keaton, Geena Davis, 1988, mint LPP print. (PG)


"King Kong", Fay Wray, Bruce Cabot, 1933, black and white, not the greatest print but watchable.


"Back to the Future", Michael J. Fox, Christopher Lloyd, 1985, mint LPP print. (PG)


"Dumbo", Walt Disney, 1941, first reel amazing technicolor, fair amount of wear, second reel somewhat faded. (G)


"Kung Fu" the TV original TV pilot movie, David Carradine, 1972. (G)




An image from "Duck Dodgers in the 24 1/2th Century"


"What's Opera Doc"


"One Froggy Evening"

In addition to these feature films I also have an incredible collection of cartoon shorts that include Bugs Bunny, Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Tweety and Sylverster, Road Runner, 'The Cat Came Back', 'The Big Snit', and many more. This collection includes such classics as 'Duck Dodgers in the 24 1/2th Century', 'One Froggy Evening' and 'What's Opera Doc?'



A movie showing at the swimming pool for some 'Dive-In Theatre'


My Eiki Xenon projector when it was working.


My 11 ft diagonal screen (when fully extended) strapped to the front of the pontoon boat.


Boat-In Theatre, a photograph of my screen showing 'Mr. Mom' with the lake and lights reflecting in the background.


Terri Garr in a scene from Mr. Mom




Isaac Solomon standing in front of my big screen.


My screen is setup.



A shot from my lake showing of "Lady and the Tramp"


My SNSR showing of "Beetlejuice" in my basement.




A shot from my showing of "The Wizard of Oz" in the basement.



My setup on the boat.


Another shot from my showing of "Lady and the Tramp"


My son Alex standing in front of my old, smaller movie screen.


A screen shot from my showing at the senior citzens center.


A great shot from my print of 'It's A Wonderful Life'


My audience at the senior citzens center


All of my stuff packed up for the showing.

Comments

Jeff said…
John,

That's actually a sweet setup you have there! Bravo! I wish your projector was working again.
Jeff said…
John, I've been noticing your growing collection of hoozits down at the bottom of your blog page. A tip: If you cut and paste all of those from your Blogger template up to where they are right where the blank line is currently at following the line that mentions "bloggerbutton1.gif" (that's the "I Power Blogger" button) then they'll all show up in your side bar instead of under the page footer.

Hope that is helpful to you!
Greg Stewart said…
I wish I were close and had a function that would appreciate something like that. Heck, even if it was just to drag my kids over to watch 'em.

Very cool.
Anonymous said…
Open-air movie is too far away for me. when I am little boy, moive is a exceiting thing because my town is poverty. So open-air movie is one of pleasent childhood memories.

Popular posts from this blog

Planetside Screenshots

Ten Reasons *NOT* to become a Freemason