Coffee Addicted World


(NOTE TO READERS WHO CAME HERE FROM A WEB SEARCH: Since I wrote this post almost a year ago it has now become one of the top search results on Google for phrases such as 'coffee hurts my stomach' or 'caffeine and stomach problems'. I would like to say that, a year later, I have still not had a single cup of coffee or a single caffeinated soda. I have also not had any diet soda of any kind. I haven't regretted this decision for one minute once I got past the initial withdrawal symptoms. I now drink enormous amounts of water and that suits me just fine. Where I used to swallow Alika seltzer and Rolaids in massive quantities on a daily basis I now hardly ever use them at all and, if so, usually because I ate something that was a little too spicy for my own good. I used to get heartburn, from time to time so severe and so painful that I thought I might be having a heart attack. Once again, I have not had such an experience in the past year.

I can't stress enough, that if you are experiencing heartburn, stomach problems and, possibly irritable bowel syndrome, you might want to seriously think about quitting coffee. One other benefit is that I am now aware of how much caffeine was affecting my personality. From being irritable and impatient to becoming rushed and stressed unnecessarily. None of these symptoms come from a crystal clean clear bottle of water.)


Ok, so maybe this isn't some earth shattering observation or anything but I do want to discuss my thoughts after quitting caffeine for about a week now. (This is not a Freemason themed post.)

I quit caffeine completely about a week ago, primarily because of stomach problems. I did some research and I found that coffee is extremely harsh on the stomach. This is fairly obvious on the face of it and no great revelation.

I also experienced some fairly unpleasant caffeine withdrawal headaches. I experienced this symptom as well as fatigue (last weekend I would wake up, read the newspaper, then fall back asleep for another three hours, this is completely abnormal for me!). I really began to wonder, what is the upside of all of this? Once the withdrawal symptoms have gone how am I going to manage and function? After all, the whole world needs its cup of coffee in the morning or they cannot function, how could I?

I researched this sort of thing on the Internet and I didn't find much. How does one 'live without caffeine'? Well, it turns out that maybe the reason I didn't find much is because it actually isn't much of an issue. Most people have been addicted to caffeine for a substantial portion of their life. I began drinking coffee (with a lot of milk and sugar) at the age of 12. I have never stopped drinking it since (that is until last weekend).

We are all so addicted to coffee that we have forgotten that a human being can function absolutely perfectly fine without it. We are convinced we cannot because if we miss our caffeine hit for even a single day we suffer withdrawal symptoms of headache and fatigue. We confuse the withdrawal symptoms with what we think is the natural state we would be in we didn't drink it in the first place.

This simply isn't the case.

So, what are the 'advantages' of not drinking coffee? Well, they are more significant than you might think. First of all you stop abusing your stomach. And, second of all, you break a vicious cycle that half the world seems to be gripped in.

This leads to another thought that concerns me a bit. Half of the world is becoming seriously addicted to caffeine. You can't walk a single block in some cities without hitting one, if not more, Starbucks or other coffee emporium.

At the same time as this massive growing world wide addiction we, seemingly, have an exploding increase in medical problems. These are heartburn, acid reflux, and insomnia. Simply look at the amount of product being sold and advertised for stomach problems and inability to sleep.

I find it difficult not to see an obvious correlation between this and the world’s addiction to coffee. The thing is, all of these people popping sleeping pills and stomach medication continue to drink their massive Starbucks coffees each morning.

It seems to me that they would be a lot better off ditching the sleeping pills and ditching the stomach medication, and just quit drinking coffee.

Once you get through the withdrawal you find you really don't 'need' coffee all that much. Once you get through the withdrawal you notice that your stomach isn't churning as much and your acid reflux isn't fluxing through your esophagus. Once you completely quit caffeine you can finally experience a normal sleep cycle once again.

In my own case I have, for over 15 years, gone through a cycle of massive quantities of caffeine in the morning, followed by numerous beers in the evening, topped off with Rolaids, Alka seltzer, and occasional sleeping pills. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize this is not a healthy pattern. However, when giving up caffeine is viewed as a completely pointless exercise culturally you don't consider that as an option. I have tried to quit a number of things in my life, but never caffeine. I never even considered it an option. The whole world drinks coffee. It is the great elixir of life. How can you program a computer or face board meeting without this stimulant coursing through your veins?

Caffeine withdrawal is no joke. It is not fun. And, most people who start to give up coffee, even just for a day or two, view the withdrawal symptoms as an indication of 'what their life will be like without caffeine." They assume it's 'not worth it' and give up.

If you want to keep having acid reflux, pop Pepcid AC, and using sleeping pills, alcohol, or other downers on a daily basis to get you to go to sleep, that is your choice.

To be quite honest, after getting through the withdrawal symptoms (which are not fun and can easily last a week), giving up coffee (and caffeine in general) has been one of the easiest things i have ever done. I have no desire for a cup of coffee. The smell of it just makes my stomach start to churn.

Just remember, and make no doubt about it, that this is a wagon that takes only a *SINGLE CUP OF COFFEE* to restart the vicious cycle. It takes only one cup to start the addiction cycle and re-experience even a minor bit of caffeine withdrawal.

Of course the makers of analgesics know this. They realize that a substantial percentage of all headaches are really just caffeine withdrawal because somebody skipped their morning cup of coffee. That is why so many headache medicines actually contain caffeine, so they can kill off the withdrawal symptoms and get you back on track again.

Now in closing, I don't mean to sound like an anti-coffee fanatic. Drink it all you want. It is purely a personal choice. I just wanted to make the observation that it does seem to support an addictive lifestyle that pushes you into a vicious cycle of taking stimulants in the morning and then searching for downers in the evening (abusing either alcohol, sleeping pills, or both). If you can drink five cups of coffee and sleep like a baby in the evening, and your stomach is a calm ocean of peace, I congratulate you.

However, just by listening to a few advertisements on the television it seems clear that a large number of people are stuck in this cycle and rather than going through the withdrawal and quitting caffeine they instead turn to more drugs to manage their addiction.

In short, there is life after caffeine and once you get through the withdrawal symptoms (approximately a week) you may find it is easier to stay off of it than any diet you ever tried to stay on.

Comments

Tom Accuosti said…
John, I've noticed that ex-smokers are particularly remonstrative around other smokers. Are you going to turn into one of those guys who will continually berates the rest of us? ;-)

The Tao of Masonry
Nope, not at all. As you saw from my post I did say that if you want to continue to drink coffee that is just fine by me. I only made the post because I had never really thought about caffeine this way before. I have never had the experience of quitting it since I have been drinking coffee for 33 years. I didn’t even realistically think I could. I also wasn’t sure why I should quit it. I figured just quitting coffee would be enough to settle my stomach.

What inspired me to make my post was my observation of a correlation between our worldwide coffee addiction with the rampant development of stomach problems or acid reflux as well as an increase in sleep disorders. Even without any medical evidence it seems like a reasonable hypothesis.

I also made the post because when I wanted to quit I could find very little information about what life is like ‘without caffeine’. Since I haven’t been without caffeine since I was 12 years old I had apparently forgotten that we don’t, actually, need it. And the perceived ‘need’ is usually just short-term withdrawal symptoms.

If coffee didn’t hurt my stomach I would still be happily drinking it myself. It is an addictive substance but that doesn’t, in and of itself, make it evil or anything. It is only when it leads to medical problems (either digestive or sleep related) that you might want to re-evaluate it for yourself.

John
Anonymous said…
Interesting. I am in Day 2 of coffee withdrawal and I am just starting to notice some symptoms which include drowsiness (I am usually wide awake by 1000A!)and an inability to concentrate. Can't seem to finish a single e-mail this morning. My reason for quitting is to see if it affects my fasting blood sugar level, which has been somewhat elevated lately. In the so-called 'pre-diabetes' stage between 100 and 126. I guess time will tell. I had a tough time quitting smoking about 15 years ago. By comparison giving up alcohol a year later was easy. Don't think I will sweat it to much to kick the caffeine!


Bert
Anonymous said…
Acid reflux made my life a pity... After several months of IPP pills, I decided to stop and try to get back to a life without these medication (and their side effects...).
BUT... acid reflux and heartburn came back as powerful as before. After many weeks of tests and research (and painful life), I discovered that coffee may cause such a problem. I stopped and guess what ? NO MORE ACID REFLUX !!! I just don't believe it , even now. It is liek a dream. This product can be dangerous for some people, how come the negative effects of coffee are not studied more deeply ? THANKS JOHN for your blog, it helped me a lot...
Unknown said…
Thank you SO much for your article. I have a terrible case of acid reflux, even my throat is swollen. Because I have Lyme disease, (high fatigue factor), I have resisted getting off coffee. But at this point, I am in a lot of pain and because my stomach is f****ed up my digestion is weak and any supplement I take to try to help the Lyme, is not really digested properly. Also four years trying out different antibiotics my stomach has really been abused. I felt nothing remonstrative in your article. You just want to feel better, so do I. I stopped today and am very sleepy, but your article helped me to keep up! Thanks, Faith
wrotek said…
I have lyme disease too, and trying to quit caffeine :)
Unknown said…
I quit coffee 3 days ago bacause of stomach problems of all kinds that started a month ago. Instead of coffee I drink green tea, so I cheat a little bit :) However, the reaction is amazing, my stomach feels so good that can't beleive it will actaully stay that way. As I said, I dring green tea so i don't have severe withdrawal symptoms and I feel that it actually additionally helps my stomach. Cheers, Pega
Anonymous said…
I've been off coffee for over a month now and haven't looked back since. I went cold turkey as part of a detox and after surviving the hellish withdrawal symptoms, I realised I wasnt ready to go back to caffeine again.

I had planned to go back to decaf eventually, figuring I couldnt do without my daily dose, however since coming off I've not felt the need to event have decaf. I've found some great herbal teas (especially the licorice ones) and eat white chocolate when I get those choc cravings.

I feel more awake, my head is clearer, and I wake up feeling alive rather than being hit by a truck!
Anonymous said…
John,
I'm thinking of giving up coffee as I have had chronic indigestion for 3 weeks now. I use coffee to keep regular each day and am worried I will become constipated. Did your body adjust to no caffeine and allow you to have regular bm's? So embarrassing but not much info out there. Thanks
I didn't have any problems related to BM's when I went off coffee. The main thing is that my stomach problems went away.

John
Caz said…
I cam across your blog after searching for the benefits of giving up caffeine. I too was on medication for dyspepsia (and possible stomach ulcer)on a number of occasions while continuing to drink coffee. After finally deciding to quit coffee and other caffeinated beverages, within a week the dyspepsia has gone! I can't actually believe it! I am sleeping so much better and, after getting through the withdrawal, have much more energy than before!

Popular posts from this blog

Planetside Screenshots

Ten Reasons *NOT* to become a Freemason

How to become a Freemason?