The Reason I Post on Freemason Topics



Ever since I joined Freemasonry I have been concerned about 'what I post' on the Internet about it. For a long time I wouldn't post anything. I asked questions in private, but I didn't comment on it here.

However, this just really isn't in my nature. I have been shooting my mouth off online for decades before there even was an Internet. I first started shooting my mouth off on bulletin board systems (BBS'es) in 1980 or so; on a TRS-80 and mostly an Apple-II. I had a friend who hosted a BBS called 'The Junk Drawer' on a TRS-80 with a couple of floppy disk drives. Years later, at a wedding I attended in around the year 2000, I met him and he said he *STILL HAD IT RUNNING*!!

I ran some BBS's of my own as well. We would 'dial-in' read messages, then compose our replies, dial in, and upload the exchange. Fiery debates would unfurl while we each waited for the phone to become free for just a moment so we could get our post in. Auto-dialers would spin furiously for hours so we could post a diatribe the absolute instant someone else logged off. Later on we would do the same sort of thing on Genie and Compuserve. Over the years, while other people had slick cool handles like 'RazerX' I would go by the bizarre name of 'John Ratcliff'. Back then I believed that if I had something to say I would sign my name to it and, 26 years later, I still feel the same way. I don't like posting things anonymously. I also have a medium sized ego. It's not huge, not out of control, but it isn't non-existent either. Once I got into the computer game industry I realized that being at the bizarre fringes of 'celebrity' you do have to 'keep your name out there'.

I did cardiovascular research as one of my first jobs and I really got into that whole 'publish or perish' paradigm. So, I write. I write about what is on my mind. I write about philosophy. I write about trivia. I used to really love to argue, but I have lost interest in that of late since I feel it does not promote harmony.

As I became more comfortable with my role in Freemasonry I also became more comfortable talking about it online. I have never revealed any of our traditional 'sekrits' but I don't think that should preclude me from talking about it as a life experience.

A lot of times I am concerned this might rub some of my brethren the wrong way. And I have tried to be sensitive to that. On the whole most of the feedback I have received has been positive.

And none more so than the email I just received this evening. *THIS* is why I post about the Fraternity online.

Receiving this email was so very gratifying that I really want to share it here as well.

Ever since I made my slightly humorous and, clearly satirical, post about 'ten reasons *not* to become a freemason' I have been getting a lot of traffic from related search terms.

Somone who stumbled in here just that way felt compelled to honor me with the following request. I have changed the young man's name out of respect for his privacy.

--------------------------------------------------

Dear Mr. Ratcliff

Hello my name is John Henry Doe. I am from a small town called Somewhereville, Indiana. I have just recently graduated from a two year university located about thirty minutes away from named State University with an associates degree in Business Administration. In the fall I plan on continuing my education with a bachelor’s degree in Business Marketing from Indiana University (IU).

Now that I have told you a little about myself I guess I can get to the point of why I am sending you this e-mail. My grandfather died before I was born. My mother and grandmother always said that my grandfather and I were very much alike and would have liked each other a great deal. They have told me many stories about him that I enjoyed very much, but I was always intrigued by the fact that he was a Freemason. A few months ago my grandmother also passed away. After her death I was given two Mason rings that belonged to my grandfather. Over the past year I have been thinking about joining the freemasons. The only problem is that I don’t know any Freemasons and have no idea how to become a member. Today I was searching the web to find information about masons and how to join when I came across your weblog. Afterreading it I believe I would very much like to become a Mason. I feel that the Freemasons believe in the same ideas that I have always believed myself.

I consider myself a very honest, moral, and well rounded young man. I am 21 years old and would like to become a member of the Freemasons. If it is not too much trouble to ask you I would be very grateful if you could send me some information on how to join aLodge in or close to Somewhere, Indiana. You can contact me at somewhere@Indiana.

Thank you for taking the time to read my e-mailI am very serious about joining and would be thrilled to hear back from you.

Sincerely,

John Henry Doe


---------------------------------------

I have already forward this email to Right Worshipful Brother Christopher Hodapp in Indiana who I am quite sure will help this poor blind candidate find a lodge nearby.

Comments

Greg Stewart said…
I can relate here. Since I created both sites Freemason Information, and my blog, i have probably fielded about 20 referrals to different Grand Lodges in a little over 1 year.

All asked for different reasons, but it gave me cheer to know that I provided the door to ask at.

I think wether the blog is about Freemasonry or just posts from a Freemason will make it a stand up site. In the end, you can't separate the mason from the man.
Anonymous said…
Well isn't that just the coolest. I joined a local lodge due to finding their contact info on the web. Of course, that was back in 2001, so things were slightly more sparse.

But the Indiana connection to this interested fella is quite cool. There will be two brothers from my Lodge attending IU this school year. What a small world.
Anonymous said…
Maybe the inet can save the Freemason's dwindling membership?

I can see it know. With some clever grayhat voodoo a myspace bulletin goes out to 50 million kids and boom!! A new generation.

or maybe not.

btw.. All the cool kids always post with their real names!

Popular posts from this blog

Planetside Screenshots

Ten Reasons *NOT* to become a Freemason