Redacted

Wow, I need to redact my previous blog entry of earlier today. I received some quick comments and, upon rereading my post, I realize it doesn't come across with the tone in which I intended it to have. It was meant to be a light hearted commentary about how I always start out obsessed with a new hobby only to become bored with it in time.

My obsession with Freemasonry has more or less run this same course but with one key distinction from previous obsessions. You see, since a product of my involvement with the institution was that I created a great many new friends and lasting relationships, these will not go away. These friendships bind me to the institution more strongly than any imagined 'deeper meanings' behind the craft.

As far as my search for any esoteric meaning within Freemasonry, that comment was meant to be taken lightly. I was never a seeker when I joined Freemasonry because I am already quite happy in regards to my spiritual views. The only thing I was seeking was new friends and a connection to my community, and, I found that. I was deeply concerned that there might be things in Freemasonry that I would object to on moral grounds, however that has not been the case. Freemasonry was largely responsible for the Enlightenment and it is based on core principles which are in perfect concert with my own beliefs.

The fact that it conducts ceremonies that don't make much sense to my rational mind has been a source of agitation at times, but I have gotten over that as well. I have every intention of going through all of the chairs. I have memorized my first piece of substantial ritual and delivered it at a first degree several times. I look forward to going through the York Rite and the Scottish Rite just to have the experience. I think this is a remarkable anachronistic piece of Western tradition that I am happy to be a part of.

Across America there are all of these fads. Not just mainstream churches but people going into Yoga, New Age beliefs, and all kinds of exploratory arenas of thought. Meanwhile, there's Freemasonry just sitting there, waiting for people (of good character) to participate.

Ultimately, is it 'good' for me to memorize a large part of an anachronistic ritual ceremony? Well, it doesn't seem to hurt.

So, nope. No third-eye opening in my forehead. No seeing of auras. No access to the akashic record and no contact with ascended masters.

But, you see, for me this is nothing new.

This all goes back to my obsession with UFOs. I was obsessed about the whole thing and was very engaged in its study for a long time. I knew many, many, many, people who claimed to have deep and personal experiences with UFOs. I, of course, never did. It never really bothered me all that much that I didn't, it was enough that my friends did and told me their stories.

I only had one note of warning to my UFO friends and will share it with my brethren here, just because a higher being tells you to do something doesn't mean you have to listen to him. Chances are, he's just yanking your chain.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Oh, and I also meant to add that while the ritual you have started to memorize seems archaic and antiquated, there are real and valuable symbols of morality and viture contained in them. No, you aren't going to find the secrets of the universe or the National Treasure buried under a church but, you can find valuable lessions that teach Friendship, Morality, and Brotherly love.

It seems to me the Mystic Tie is more than enough to find in a lodge with or without esoterica.
Anonymous said…
The history and ceremonies of any instituion, be it religion or Fremasonry, are important to know as they do form the foundation of the group's existence. However, everything evolves over time, and you have to look at practical application in the "here and now".

Put another way: it's not about what our ancestors did, nor is it about an ulitmate destination or "my reward" as grandma used to say; it's what we do along our journey that is important.

A friend from your UFO days on CompuServe.....

Popular posts from this blog

Planetside Screenshots

Ten Reasons *NOT* to become a Freemason