Is the Bloom off the Rose?

Well, I've been a Freemason for well over a year now and the question in my mind is this; is the bloom off the rose?

I have a bad habit of getting really interested in something, devoting massive amounts of time, energy, and thought into a topic, and then exhausting myself to the point that I become bored with it. My wife knows this is a pattern of mine and she accused me repeatedly of being 'obsessed' with Freemasonry in the past year. While I generally agreed with her I also argued 'this is different'.

Well today, a little over a year later, she was right. I was obsessed with Freemasonry. I have become bored with it and it doesn't captivate me in the same way any more.

I searched for the 'esoteric' in Freemasonry. I found nothing. I repeat, I have found absolutely nothing in any way, shape, or form, 'esoteric' about Freemasonry. I searched for mysterious rituals and illuminating experiences. I didn't find much of that either. I searched for the hidden mystery of the institution until I was tired of reading books about it.

I have a huge Freemason library and have read so much on the topic that now most any book I pick up is just a rehash of material I have consumed elsewhere in another form.

All of that said, I am still a Freemason. I am still a Shriner. I am still a DeMolay advisor. Even though an intellectual obsession might cool and interest may wane in the mythology of the institution, you do not become bored with friends.

I have met so many great men and women in Freemasonry. The social aspect of the fraternity is so rich and so enjoyable that I cannot fathom ever becoming bored with it. On Saturday morning I helped cook for the Boy Scouts fundraiser at our lodge spending hours with my brethren in friendly and social intercourse. In weeks past, and in events in the future, I will support the Shrine by attending parades, dinners, BBQ's, and fundraisers. In DeMolay I will be taking our entire chapter to State Conclave acting as a mentor and leader for the promising young men in our group. I will be attending the 3rd degree ceremony for my friend Bill when he is raised at the New Masonic Temple.

So, no I didn't find anything esoteric in Freemasonry. I didn't find a link to Knights Templar. I didn't find secret cabals or hidden agendas. All I found was a bunch of friends and many great opportunties to become more involved in my community.

On that note I will close with this 'Masonic Thought for the Day' emailed to me by my mentor and friend Right Worshipful Brother Russ Tinker

---------------------------------------
A FRIEND OR TWO

There's all of pleasure and all of peace
In a friend or two;
And all your troubles may find release
With a friend or two;
It's in the grip of the clasping hand
On native soil or in alien land,
But the world is made---do you understand?
Of a friend or two.

A song to sing and a crust to share
With a friend or two;
A smile to give and a grief to bear
With a friend or two;
A road to walk and a goal to win,
An inglenook to find comfort in,
The gladdest hours that we know, begun
With a friend or two.

A little laughter; perhaps some tears
With a friend or two;
The days, the weeks, and the months and years
With a friend or two;
A vale to cross, a hill to climb,
A mock at age, and a jeer at time---
The prose of life takes the lilt of rhyme
With a friend or two.

The brother-sound the brother-heart
Of a friend or two
Makes us drift on from the crowd apart,
With a friend or two!
For come days happy or come days sad
We count no hours but the ones made glad
By the hale good times we ever had
With a friend or two.

Then brim the goblet and quaff the toast
To a friend or two,
For glad the man who can always toast
Of a friend or two.
The fairest sight is a friendly face,
The blithest tread a friendly pace,
And heaven will be a better place
For a friend or two.


Wilbert d. Nesbit--


Comments

Anonymous said…
So... you didn't find anything "esoteric" or of deeper personal value in Freemasonry. I'm sorry it didn't happen for you, but like with all things the most rewarding is always to be found on the road less travelled. You saw a sign that said "Freemasonry availabel inside!" and you thought it would be that easy. You won't find Freemasonry in those old lodges; it moved out long ago. It isn't available in books either; the ones who really knew could not have written it down, and those who did write about it knew no more than yourself.

Forget what you think you know. Throw away your books. Your journey is really just beginning.
Thanks for the kind words fellow travelers. What inspires me about Freemasonry, historically, is how involved it was in the enlightenment. I am, right now, reading "The Widows Son" by Robert Anton Wilson and I am enjoying it very much.

When I traveled to Paris earlier this year I got a chance to really connect with the city and feel more of the history that is there.

I won't say too much openly on this blog about my quest for 'light'. It would be a pleasent conversation at a festive board sometime between brothers.

In short, my brain appears to be wired in such a way that it finds these topics fascinating yet remains largely unaffected by influences that impact others quite strongly.

Ok, so maybe that wasn't too clear. I just don't want to say more in this open forum.

I'm happy to seek light wherever it may shine. My post was meant to be positive in tone. I love the fellowship I find in mainstream Freemasonry and I am more than satisfied with that.

Popular posts from this blog

Planetside Screenshots

Ten Reasons *NOT* to become a Freemason