How cool is that!??



Under the category of 'How cool is that?' comes this portrait drawn by artist Rodrigo Alves It appears that Rodrigo worked from a photograph taken at my recent installation as Worshipful Master of Naphtali lodge. I have never had anyone draw my portrait before, though I have drawn my own a few times.

Viewing Rodrigo's work and writing about it has inspired me to think about my own artwork. I haven't drawn anything in years but, the last time I tried to get back into it I took a figure drawing course at the local community college and was pleased to see that not only had I not lost my skills I was able to improve on them.

One of these days, and I'm not quite sure when, I am going to get back into my artwork. I do have my art portfolio posted online here. This portfolio ranges from my best detailed pieces to doodles drawn in class. It also includes a couple of my best sketches from figure drawing class.

Here are a few examples:



Here is a self-portrait I did in college. It was the first thing I ever did that placed in the show. The ironic thing is that the piece was tittled 'Never as good and not good enough."; which alludes to a statement made to me by an art professor stating that I would never be as good an artist as a classmate and that I was not good enough. Very encouraging don't you think?


I usually work in pencil. I have tried to paint but I get frustrated because I haven't mastered the medium and I just fall back to what I am more comfortable with. When I do want to take advantage of color I use high quality colored pencils. This is one of my favorite pieces titled 'Pretty Lady' because every night I would take my son to be he would have to stop by this picture on the wall and say 'Good night Pretty Lady'.


This is a drawing I did of actress and model Andi McDowell.


In college I would often draw some very strange things. This is one my most strangest.


This sketch was from a live model in figure drawing class. I think it turned out very well. This was a timed drawing; maybe about 45 minutes.


This is another self-portrait I did. The title of this sketch is 'Death of Glasses' as it was to commemorate the fact that I no longer had to wear my ugly glasses once I got my first set of contact lenses.

Here is another example of something very strange and bizarre I was capable of drawing. Go ahead and click on the image to get a higher resolution version. There's some strange shit happening in this piece.


Just another sketch of a pretty girl. That seems to be a theme in much of my artwork.


This is a drawing I did and, apparently, never quite finished of actress and model Isabella Rossellini.


Another sketch made from a live model in class.


A stylistic sketch I never quite finished.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Wow, I really like the surreal stuff (and disagree 100% that the Rosellini piece is 'unfinished.') Hadn't seen that before.
Rodrigo said…
very good your artwork... the Light and shadow in your drawings is very cool.
Anonymous said…
The last sketch seems complete to me.

I think a Photoshop plugin over a brush would be interesting. That takes the art of the hand and adds the digital artist component.

Might produce a pleasing effect.

Rob Wallace

Popular posts from this blog

Planetside Screenshots

Ten Reasons *NOT* to become a Freemason

How to become a Freemason?