I had a decent weekend. On Saturday morning I gave some technical advice to people who are way smarter than me. It's kind of ironical when you think about it. On Saturday evening we took three boys to City Museum. If you haven't been to City Museum yet, what, are you nuts? You don't need kids to go and enjoy it, though that doesn't hurt either. On Saturday evening they stay open till 1am.

They had an amazing musician playing hypnotic techno music to acoustic guitar accompaniment in Beatnik Bob's bar. Next door, in the theatre, they had book readings and were showing movies and cartoons. Unfortunately the movies were all on DVD, it would have been so much cooler on 16mm. I find it interesting that we in the film community get all paranoid about public showings of films, but City Museum will just pop any old DVD into their machine and show it as a 'bootleg movie'. You gotta love it.

On Sunday morning Alex and I went on a nature hike in Babler state park, still my favorite hiking trails in the area. Sunday afternoon I decided to sell my entire book collection to make more room in the basement. When I started we had 8 floor to ceiling book shelves to hold all of our books. After a recent effort to free up some room we reduced it to 5 bookshelves. This weekend I decided the limit has to be one. Print is dead to me. I prefer reading books on my PDA so much that I no longer have the love for owning a print copy anymore. I used to spend thousands of dollars on books, now I spend thousands of dolalrs on movies. At least the movies are still worth what I spent on them.

I am listing all of my books on Ebay in large lots, organized roughly by author and genre. Here's a link to the auctions I have managed to post so far. I already sold one lot to someone who used "Buy it Now". Based on past experience I will get about double what I could have received selling them garage sale style and, this way, I sell them *all* and don't have to deal with the remainders.

Last night I watched the Rams game on high definition ESPN and was continually stunned by how photoreal everything looked. It was simply incredible!

This evening the guy who bought my Alfa is supposed to show up and haul it off. I'll be happy to get it out of the garage. I drove it around the neighborhood yesterday just to make sure it still runs.

Later this week I am going to be attending the Midwest Entertainment Expo in Lexington, Kentucky. This looks to be a really goofy conference and I am really looking forward to the unique experience. I am supposed to be a speaker on a number of panels. If this conference is like most, I will get a speakers badge that is more or less like a 'backstage pass'. Normally that wouldn't mean much, but this conference is as much a music festival as anything else; with many aspiring rock and roll bands playing their music. I am taking my 10 year old son, Alex, with me so he can have a really unique experience. We will get to stay at a nice hotel where he will be able to listen to talks on computer games, film, and music. I think it will be a great experience for him. It's going to be a nice break for me as well, and I'm looking forward to the drive and opportunity to network with people in the industry who are working in the Midwest.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Planetside Screenshots

Ten Reasons *NOT* to become a Freemason