It would be nice to make a post if I could get the Italian Internet to work...

Well, I'm here in Rome with only one full day left on my vacation and I would like to make a blog post. I would especially like to make a multimedia blog post using both photographs and video clips.

Unfortunately, due to the fact that Italian Internet service appears to be about as reliable as my Italian sports cars used to be, I cannot upload anything of a substantial size without suffering constant time outs and dropped connections. It cost ten euros to access the Internet for one hour. With the conversation rate that it almost $14. I suddenly feel like I'm using Compuserve again; and just as slow too!

Rome has been a very pleasurable experience and I have lots to write about the trip. I took many photographs and numerous video clips. When I get back, in addition to uploading a photo-album of my favorite shots, I am also going to edit together a music video that includes both photographs and video clips panning across some of the many incredible sites I have been able to visit.

Tomorrow is our last full day and I believe we are going to spend our time exploring the Vatican museum. On Tuesday morning we start that 'longest day' experience where you head out in the morning and arrive back home late on Tuesday 'night'; which actually feels like Wednesday morning to your mind and body.

Speaking of body, mine has held up incredibly well on this adventure. I'm sure I have walked at least an average of five miles a day; often much more. I have been able to avoid getting any blisters on my feet and am enjoying getting a regular dose of exercise. It seems a shame I have to take a vacation to actually get any exercise. Perhaps I could do that when I return home??

The money situation has been outrageous. Fortunately Rome is a lot less expensive than Paris, but still I am blowing through cash at an incredible rate. Just sitting down for a simple lunch for three is costing around sixty to eighty dollars. Today I spent forty four dollars for three dishes of ice cream. I spent $14 for a single beer (admittedly a large beer, but one beer nevertheless.)

I'm not letting it bother me (much) since I intended for this to happen. No regrets, no buyers remorse. The photographs and videos will help me hold onto this experience for years to come. I did make one impulse purchase that I absolutely do not regret. I purchased an original painting from an artist on the street. It is oil on canvas and painted in the classical style. I will upload a photograph of it at a later date. It cost 250 euros, or about $350. It will become a great memory of our vacation for years to come once I hang it proudly on our wall. The artist had quite an emotional attachment to the piece and begged us to send him a photograph of it once it was framed and hanging in our home.

Once I return home I will make a number of posts with photographs as well as some of my observations about the trip. As I said before, I am really looking forward to sharing some of the video clips that I captured as well. I read several books and will be posting reviews of them to share with the blogging public.

I had no particular Freemason themed experiences while on my vacation. I only met a single other Freemason on the trip and I met him will sitting on a bench inside the Sistine Chapel. He sidled up to me and asked, in somewhat broken English, "Are you a traveler?". I said I was and we had a brief converstion where he informed me that he was a past master of a lodge in the Philippines.

One curious thing came up today. I was inside a Catholic Church here in Rome and there was a prominent painting of the eye in the pyramid, replete with shining rays coming out of it. I thought it quite unusual to see this highly recognizable symbol in this particular context. I took photographs and will upload one later.

Comments

Tom Accuosti said…
appears to be about as reliable as my Italian sports cars used to be,

I'm reminded of some old movie from the 60s in which the main character (Walter Matheau?) would take his Italian roadster out for a trip, and every single time he drove it, he'd have to bring it back to the (Italian) mechanic who would have to soothe it and retune it.
Unknown said…
There's a joke in my predominately Italian-American neighborhood. They say that FIAT is short for "Fix It Again Tony." :)

As for the eye of providence being displayed in a RC Church. It's actually quite common in Europe. Last time I was in Munich, I found about a dozen RC Churches with the Pyramid and eye. This symbol didn't begin in the enlightenment or by masons, as many believe. It was only popularized during this period by our brothers.

Popular posts from this blog

Planetside Screenshots

Ten Reasons *NOT* to become a Freemason