Today's blog post will be a small photo-journal of my Saturday night. Before I get to that, I guess I have to apologize for spamming everybody in my contact list with email. There is this new service called Plaxo that is moderately useful. It is a web based repository for contact information. If anyone in your contact list is also a member of Plaxo, then all of their contact information is always up to date on your system. It seems mildly useful, and I went ahead and joined. However, it acts like a chain letter since it has to offer everyone on your contact list the 'opportunity' to sign up for their free service.

Well, no harm no foul, and considering the amount of spam people normally get on a day to day basis, I doubt my one extra email will have broke the dam.

The first photo in the photo journal is of our foul cat, lounging in a repulsive fashion on our foyer furniture. I did not take this picture, I found it in the camera when I transferred my own. Nevertheless, here's the scoundrel.



I spent my Saturday getting ready for a movie showing. I thoroughly cleaned all of my equipment and even fixed a projector. Those of you who know me well, know I have no mechanical aptitude. The take-up arm of one of my projectors would not 'take up'. So, I went ahead and bravely took it apart and saw that the belt was loose. I took the belt from one of my backup projectors and then, all by myself, figured out how to tighten it. It now works great, and I have *two* working 16mm projectors again. I can't stand going to a movie showing without a backup. Of course, I went over the top and rented the movie I was showing on DVD and brought my DLP projector as well. Fortunately, I didn't need any of the backup equipment and the showing went smoothly.

The presentation of the evening was "It's A Wonderful Life" with Jimmy Stewart and Donna Reed. A great movie and holiday classic. I took all of my equipment over to "The Caregiver's Inn", a very nice senior citizens center nearby. I turned their common room into a mini-movie theatre, setting up my 11ft diagonal tripod screen at one end. I had a great audience, and the film was really well received. I set up a nice stereo system with my Bose speakers and an equalizer. The sound quality was crisp, clear, and loud.

I was able to take some nice photographs of the showing, so here they are.

First up, here is what the back of my mini-van looked like with all of the equipment packed up for the show. I had to make about 5 or 6 trips into the place to get everything set up. I did this purely as a small voluntary community service, so I could share my films with others who do not have the opportunity to go to the theatre. Since the TV they normally watch movies on in the common room was only about 17", I think my 11 foot screen went a long way towards creating a unique viewing experience for the residents.



Here is a great shot of the audience getting ready to settle in for the movie.



I can't believe how good some of these photographs turned out! I just open the exposure on the digital camera and turn off the flash and, somehow, I end up with these crisp clear bright shots that aren't blurry. I don't know how it works, but I'm glad it does. The 'red glow' above the screen was an illuminated exit sign on a door. It wasn't really distracting during the presentation though.




Look at this great shot of Jimmy Stewart!! This is the first time I have viewed "It's A Wonderful Life" in a year, and I sure have a great print! A bunch of copies just sold on Ebay, most for around $350 or more. I only paid $170 for this print, and it's in superb condition.



After the movie showing, it was still early, and Terry and I went out to the pre-schooler's plus Christmas party at the community association. Speaking of Christmas parties, no, my wife and I are *not* throwing our annual extravaganza this year. So, if you thought you had somehow missed your invitation, that was not the case. We have thrown a huge and involved Christmas party for almost the last ten years. However, this year we decided to take a break. No big reason, it's just that the party is an enormous amount of work, and there are no good weekends this year anyway. Maybe next year.

Here is a photograph of our friends Rob and Lisa Hippe at the party.



Here's a shot of the band, "Max Thrust". This is a classic rock band that was much, much, better than the DJ spinning records we usually get. "Max Thrust" is a group of airline pilots who live in Lake St. Louis who were laid off and decided to start a middle aged rock and roll band in their free time. They are a great group of guys and play a vast array of classic rock tunes. I have to give props to these guys too. During the evening I shouted out my standard "Funk 49!!!". I bunch of people, thinking I was drunk and rude, (I was not drunk), thought I was shouting 'fuck 49', and had no idea what I was talking about. But, of course, I was referring to the classic Joe Walsh guitar riff "Funk 49'. And, what did these guys do? Having never played the song even once before as a band, managed to get the song off!!

The dance floor was packed. In fact, I reaped a few rewards from my recent weight loss. First of all, I could wear a really nice suit that hasn't fit me in ages. And, it fit comforatably. And, second of all, I could actually go out on the dance floor and enjoy myself. Previously, when I was so heavy, I just couldn't dance for any length of time without getting sweaty, or I was simply too self-conscious to go out there in the first place. Not this Saturday night though, I danced for a couple of hours and had a great time!



Here's a photograph of my lovely wife Terry (on the right), and our friend Tracy Hill (on the left).



This final photograph is of a handsome couple I do not know. The woman on the right is gorgeous. Simply stunning and dressed to kill for the evening. What was so sad is that she would go out on the dance floor and *beg* her husband to dance with her. This fool left her alone!??? Some men don't deserve the women they have with them.

Popular posts from this blog

Planetside Screenshots

Ten Reasons *NOT* to become a Freemason