Ok, I'm going to bump my blog by cross-posting some messages I have been posting on a Christian discussion forum. There is a semi-popular forum on the internet called "Christian Church Today". Someone started a thread there that was very anti-Masonic. Then, many more people piled in and posted a lot more of the same. I have been amazed by the extent and degree of missinformation and hostility in some of these messages.

I realize I am walking a very, very, thin line, but I have been attempting to respond to the messages posted there with a great deal of calm and reason. There are some people who become unbelievably incensed if all you do is say that Freemasonry is something 'good'. The thread may degenerate fairly soon and I won't be able to stay involved in it any longer. However, it has been more or less positive to date. I certainly feel like is serves as a form of 'Freemason FAQ' since, apparently, these are the kind of questions that some Christians have about the fraternity. One of the most amazing things is the assumption, somehow, that Freemasonry is 'anti-Christian' or, worse yet, one poster believed it is 'anti-God'. Pretty strange since, in the United States of America, the vast majority of all Freemasons are Christians, many members of the clergy. And, of course, you are required to profess a belief in God to even join.

I realize that to some of the people I am replying to I will never change their mind. However, is the thousands of others who read the messages but don't respond who I hope will read something positive. It may be the first time some of these people have ever heard a Freemason speak 'in person'. Many of them have never heard anything positive about the organization in their lives. I am hopeful that it spreads a tiny bit of light in a few corners.

I have made a great study of Freemasonry since I joined. It helps to be a speedreader. My library is now stacked with books on Freemasonry and I feel like I have a fairly solid grounding in the history and scope of the institution. I have no real 'answers', but I know where the playing field is. And, mostly, I know what my lodge is like, and the men in it. I can speak to that with great clarity.

I know I have a few Freemason friends who read this blog now. Feel free to comment on the following exchanges. I think the first message I posted on this blog before, but for the sake of continuity I am going to include the entire exchange:



>>What are your thoughts on Masonic Lodges?

I think Masonic lodges are great organizations that perform incredible charity work and attract men of the highest moral character.

>>Many people who are Christian belong to this thing but I have heard some weird things about them.

I’m sure you have. Weird things are more entertaining than boring reality.

>>Secrecy. Ceremonies. Beliefs. Does any one know about them and can share? A Mason will not give this info out, which is why I am wary of them.

I am a Mason and I am more than willing to share.

>>True christians are not secretive or exclusive.

As far as I know, most Christian churches are exclusive. A Catholic Church is exclusive to Catholics, a Baptist church exclusive to Baptists, and so on. A country club is exclusive to its members as well. Restricting membership in a private club is not that unusual of a thing. The only requirement to become a Mason is to be a man of good character and profess a belief in God.

>>The Masonic lodge is for the most part slowly dying because of changes in the culture.

Not only is the Masonic lodge slowly dying out due to changes in our culture, so is the Lions club, the rotary, and the church. People lead busy lives and have changed their priorities. Giving up their time to worship and charity is not the highest priority on their list anymore.

It is up to us to convince people that acts of charity and showing honor for deity is more important than their other social commitments.

All that said, Freemasonry is right now undergoing a mini-resurgence, as books and movies have made people aware once again that it even exists. Some lodges are filled and run by young people and that sign is very encouraging.

>>The average member doesn't know or understand the doctrine of the central organization and would be shocked to really understand it.

This statement is simply not true and demonstrates a misunderstanding of how Freemasonry is organized. Freemasonry is one of the most democratic organizations in history. This should hardly be surprising since its members were also largely responsible for creating the greatest democracy in the world, the United States of America. Every single member of Freemasonry can ‘become the leader’. No leader has a term longer than one year, and there is a constant rotation of all members through leadership positions. Moreover, there is no ‘central organization’ of Freemasonry higher than the grand lodge at a state level. There is no such thing as ‘Freemasonry of America’; only Freemasonry of Indiana, Missouri, Florida, etc.

>>You might be surprised how many people who call themselves Christians are Masons.

The reason for this is because Freemasonry is not a religious organization. It has no dogma, performs no religious teaching, and is open to men of all religious faiths. Of course Christians can, do, and are Masons. It is a charitable organization which espouses the highest ideals of morality and has been the bulwark of communities throughout the history of this nation. There is absolutely nothing in Masonry in any way, shape, or form, which is even the slightest bit anti-Christian or antithetical to Christian teachings.

Those who say it espouses certain religious beliefs or dogma, are simply projecting their own prejudice on the situation because it simply isn’t true.

Let me give you the following example to make it abundantly clear that any idea that Freemasonry and Christianity are somehow 'in conflict' is imagined. My home lodge, when it was established in 1866 (Wentzville #46,) also shared it's building with the Catholic Church. That's right, the Freemason lodge was where the Catholic Church held its Sunday Mass. And, keeping that tradition alive, today we allow our lodge to be used so that a Christian Church can hold services there on Sunday.

There is no conflict between Christianity and Freemasonsry beyond what people imagine in their minds. Just as their is no conflict between Freemasonry and anyone's religion, which is a personal and private affair and not of a concern.

>>Masons claim all belief systems as valid and this is dangerous.

Masons claim no such thing. Freemasonry is not a religion and, therefore believes that how any individual chooses to worship God is between themselves and the Church. Neither politics nor religion is allowed to be discussed in a Freemason lodge.

>>The Mason secrecy, codes,and ceremony helped develop the institutions found within the Mormon Church.

This is somewhat true. The early leaders in the Mormon church were Masons and appeared to have borrowed some of the Freemason ritual for their organization. That said, they clearly went their separate ways and Mormons greatly dislike any comparison between their faith and Freemasonry. Nevertheless, Freemasonry is not a religious organization so there really is no great cross over here.

>>Many of their doctrines are humanistic and naturalistic.

Hmmm..I fail to see what is wrong with this? We are humans and we live with nature. What is ‘wrong’ with doing charitable acts for other human beings and recognizing that God, who created nature, created a wondrous thing? I’m pretty sure that Jesus Christ was a humanist, so I don’t see what the issue is here.

>>Many who have left the cult, especially

Freemasonry is not a cult. It lacks anything even remotely close to the requirements to meet such a definition.

>>those who have advanced to the 33rd degree (the big kahunas),

Hmmm..to become a 32nd degree Mason takes a day and a half. You watch some morality plays performed and, tada, you are a 32nd degree mason. The 33rd degree is completely honorary and is conferred as recognition for excellent service to the organization.

>>She had no clue what they did but of course since it was her family then "that made it okay".

It seems to me that she still has no clue what they do. There are no secrets in Freemasonry. The only ‘secrets’ are handshakes, passwords, and some three century old morality plays. Realize that these ‘secrets’ are available in hundreds of books and on thousands of websites. I’m really not quite sure what anyone could possibly think is ‘secret’ about it.

So, here you go. I will reveal the great secrets of Freemasonry. What your father did, and your grandfather, and what I do today. Besides the passwords, handshakes, and morality plays (all readily available on the internet, simply do a search on ‘Duncan’s Ritual') here is the big top secret thing we do in lodge. We plan scholarship funds, ring the bell at Christmas for the salvation army, raise money for an old folks home, and other charitable activities. We inquire into the health or our fellow members, and make sure the building is taken care of.

I hope I don’t suffer some horrific penalty for revealing these awful secrets but, there you have it, that’s what we do. Sorry if that is a little disappointing.

>>A lot of Freemasonry is very weird and apparently pretty scary, but then again, the Masons that I have known in the churches I've been at have been very good Christian men.

A lot of Freemasonry is very weird. Of course, you could say the same thing about a Catholic mass. It’s all about familiarity. Any time you are trying to sustain a three centuries old tradition it’s going to look a ‘little weird’ in a modern context or to those unfamiliar with it. But, so what? This ritual is what makes Masonry unique or different than say joining the Rotary club. I admit it, we enjoy the idea of keeping alive the same ceremony that George Washington, Benjamin Franklin, Harry Truman, Mark Twain, Charles Lindberg, Paul Revere, and the list goes on and on, particpated in. The men who created the United States of America were Freemasons. The men who fought in World War II were Freemasons. All of the principles in the bill of rights are the product of Freemasons.

There never was, and never will be, an organization more patriotic than Freemasonry. I realize that people who don’t understand it will be convinced there is something nefarious going on. And, that’s ok. You have a right to believe whatever you want, great Freemasons fought and died for you to have that right.

If any of you are generally interested, open minded, or curious about the organization then I encourage you to email me and I will be happy to chat with you on the phone. There is a new book, just out, called “Freemasons for Dummies” and, despite its title, is an incredible resource for information about the institution.

------------------------------------------------------------


>>Help me understand, seriously, no sarcasm intended.

No problem.

>>Is the "all seeing eye" (on a dollar bill)a mason symbol?

Yes. It is also a symbol that has been used by many cultures for a very long time. But, it is most definitely used in Masonic Lodges, at least in European lodges. I have never seen it here in any US lodges though. However, in some of the older Masonic symbolism it does show up. I have a Masonic watch and it has the 'All Seeing Eye of God' at the top of the dial.

Here is the wikiepdia article about it. You will note that the eye in the triangle is generally thought to represent the Christian trinity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_of_Providence


>> If it is, what does it mean?

It means the "All Seeing Eye of God." What else could it mean? That is all it has ever meant.

>> It's not God.

Well, yes, it *is* God. The "All Seeing Eye Of God". It's a very ancient symbol of deity.

>> Because if it was, then why not just say God?

We do say God. We say God all of the time in Freemason lodges. Why would you think we don’t?

>>If it is offensive to some in the group to say God then isn't it a conflict then?

Where do you get this idea that Masonry is anti-God or something? You *must* believe in God to be a Freemason. It is a requirement to join. What Freemasonry doesn't insist upon is that your worship God in any specific manner. That is your own business.

There can only be *one* God. How we each choose to worship God is a personal affair and not the business of Freemasonry.

>>Humanistic is not the same thing as being humane.

If you say so. Humanistic, to me at least, simply means to be concerned with the human condition as a whole.

>>Humanists believe that religion takes a back seat to the human mind, the study of being human (art, literature, etc.).

Well, that is most certainly not what I believe. Moreover, I have never heard any such idea expressed in lodge. Our devotion to God comes first. And, to be quite honest, we believe the best way to show our devotion to God is in service to our fellow man. This is exactly what Jesus Christ teaches. The vast majority of all Freemasons are Christians.

>>Christ was humane yes but not humanistic.

I disagree entirely. All of Christ’s most inspirational material is about how we should treat one another.

Here are a few things Jesus Christ had to say about loving your fellow man.

'You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.' "This is the great and foremost commandment. "And a second is like it, 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets." (Jesus as quoted by Matthew 22:37-40)

"A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another." (Jesus as quoted by John 13:34-35)

"Whatever you want others to do for you, do so for them, for this is the Law and the Prophets." (Jesus as quoted by Matthew 7:12)

"But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return; and your reward in heaven will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High; for He Himself is kind to ungrateful and evil men." (Jesus as quoted by Luke 6:35)

"If I then, the Lord and the Teacher, washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet. For I gave you an example that you also should do as I did to you." (Jesus (after cleaning the feet of His followers) as quoted by John 13:14-15)

>>He believed in and taught about saving souls and being charitable but not stressing being human over spiritual.

I fail to see the distinction. To be human, and humane to one another, *IS* a spiritual act. That is the lesson I personally take from Christ’s teachings.


>> I applaud the organization for being charitable, sometimes even more charitable than most churches. But anyone can give, and it makes them humane. It doesn't make them righteous.

Who said we were righteous? No one that I am aware of. We are just what you claim we are. Good men, trying to be better men.

It saddens me that there are Christians who believe that men who strive to help their fellow man are somehow doing something wrong?

We do not teach that salvation comes through good works. We simply teach that good works *are good*. How you choose to interpret salvation is a personal matter of faith.

It is truly sad to me that an organization that espouses these very basic principles of morality, all done in service to each individuals belief in God, can be so horribly misunderstood.

I hope I have clarified. I don't speak for all of Freemasonry; only myself.

I find Christ’s inspirational message alive and well within Freemasonry and I feel I act out his teachings with every brotherly act I perform; which includes trying to shed a little bit of understanding even here in this forum.

Bless you my brother.

John
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Woops, I see I didn't answer all of your questions. I will continue...

>>Why do them at all? Morality plays?

Why not? It is a tradition.

>>This is a ritual you have to do?

I don't 'have to do it'. I choose to do it.

>> Why have a password?

Tradition. Look, the passwords, handshakes, rituals, are not secret. They have been published for centuries and are available in thousands of places on the internet. We keep them alive for the pure and simple sake of tradition.

I, personally, feel it is honoring the memory of great men who created these rituals out of need. At one time the average person could (and would) be burned at the stake alive if they dared have any opinion in opposition to tyranny. Freemasons created secret handshakes and signs to protect themselves, so they could meet and talk without fear of destruction from inquisition, tyranny, and despots.

Freemasons and Freemason ideas were deeply involved in the creation of the United State of America, the Declaration of Independence, and the Bill of Rights. Out of respect for those great men, such as Freemasons George Washington, Benjamin Franklin, and Paul Revere, I act out these ancient rituals in their memory.

We don't change them, even though they are well known and published. It is a ceremony we keep alive in this modern age.

>>Can't you just say hello and shake hands like the average person?

We generally do. The signs and handshakes are only done as part of the ceremony. The rest of the time we "Say hello" and "shake hands like the average person."

>>I have also heard that one of the "secrets" is that they try to get involved with all kinds of leadership to pass on the rites and sublimely undermine the rest of the people.

You have it a little backwards. The leadership, historically, have *been* Freemasons. Including at least eleven American presidents, George Washington, Franklin Roosevelt, and Harry Truman to name a few.

>> Example) the layout of Washington DC is made in the form of Masonic symbols.

Of course it is! The men responsible for it were mostly members of this fine organization. An organization that brought forth the great freedoms we enjoy in this nation.

>>Now this may be because Pierre L'enfant was a mason. But what was so important about his beliefs that he had to design the city that way?

The United States of America was the great product of great men. Of course they would honor that achievement in their architecture. What mystery do you look for here?

>> Amazingly enough it's our government's seat.

I find nothing amazing about it at all. The 'government' of the time was all composed of Freemasons.

>>I am glad you are willing to share because all the masons that I have come across will not even remotely come close to what you have acknowledged.

No problem. I read extensively and have a lot of knowledge on these topics. I only hope to shed a little light on the subject.

>>Once again, I am only asking these things to understand it.

I hope I have helped.

>>My biggest question(s) is this: why even join this group and why care if it still exists and resurging if it is not a factor in the world?

We are a factor in the world. Have you seen the Shiners’ hospitals? Have you seen the Masonic homes? Have you seen the other great charities Masonic groups have sponsored? What you don't see is all of the very quiet charity we do every day of our lives. I beg to differ. I really believe we make a great difference in the world.

Most people today won't join Masonry because they say they don't have time. But they have time for television, video games, internet. Give up an evening or two a month to support your community. It doesn't have to be Masonry. Join the Rotary, or the Lions Club, or Big Brothers of America. But do *something*!

>>Why defend it to the death?

I won't defend it to death. But I will post a message on the internet to explain some things.

>> Why not just get involved with a fully Christian group and be charitable there in your community that way?

Most Freemasons are Christians and are also heavily involved in their church. They are not exclusive in any way.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>>All you need to look up a true person from history, Capt Will Morgan was put to death by the masons because he was going to publish what he took a BLOOD OATH not to reveal.

I am quite familiar with the Morgan affair. It is quite complex, nothing was ever proven, and it was a scandal that plagued a fine institution for a very long time.

Catholic Priests have molested children. Does that make Catholics all bad? Does it damage the teachings of Christ? Because any one individual, or a few individuals, fail to live up to the high ideas of an organization does that damn the institution? I don't think so.

As Christ said..he who casts the first stone...

>> One of the malefactors confessed on his deathbed what they did with him. This act started the anti-Masonic political party in our country. Look it up!!!!

I am well aware of this piece of sad history. I might point out that myself, and no one in my lodge, has ever been involved in such sordid doings. It is a sad story, but it hardly reflects on the institution as a whole. It took a very long time for Freemasonry to recover from this scandal, but, recover it did.

Freemasons who were political leaders during the American Revolution made great accomplishments. And, earlier in this century, great men involved in Freemasonry brought about great social change. Franklin Roosevelt, author of the New Deal, was a Freemason. Maybe you think well of him, maybe you don't. I happen to be impressed by his legacy.

The simple fact of the matter is that one scandal in a centuries old institution does not damn the whole thing. Life is filled with scandal; inside the Church, outside the Church, in both secular and theological settings. The fact that some individuals fail does not, necessarily, damn the entire institution.

As a whole Freemasonry has been, and continues to be, a great force for good in our society. I'm sure all of the children who have been treated at Shiners’ hospitals would have a different point of view than you have.

>>The masons would have you believe they are a group of good old boys meaning no harm.

They would, because it is true.

>>They take blood oaths that if they reveal the content they agree to have there tongue cut out, buried where the tide flows 2 times in 24 hours, horrible mutilations they swear too.

Nope. This is not quite true. You never took a blood oath? When you were a child you never said, "Cross my heart, hope to die, stick a needle in my eye?"

Throughout history, to demonstrate the sincerity of a promise, a man would 'wish upon himself' some terrible penalty were he to forsake his vow.

I admit readily that these oaths do not make a great deal of sense in a modern context. However, that is just the point. You must look at them in a *historical* context to understand them.

We keep these rituals alive purely for the sake of tradition. We do not swear an oath that 'someone would do this to us'. That is not what we say. We say we 'wish this upon ourselves' were we to break our oath.

Moreover, to any person it is clear that these oaths are purely symbolic. We say that quite directly in all of our literature and in the lodge.

Everything in Freemason ritual is symbolism. It is a time honored technique of teaching.

If you look back in history to the time these oaths were created. Back in the *DARK AGES*, there were very, very, very, good reasons to swear such an oath. To betray a trust would mean a horrific death at the hands of the inquisition.

Personally, I say this oath with pride in memory of the very brave men who were willing to stand up against tyranny and oppression and help carve the path for freedom and liberty. We owe them a great debt and I honored that debt when I spoke this oath. It gives me pause to realize the great sacrifice they made so I can enjoy the freedoms I have today.

And, it is an important reminder that we must remain vigilant, because the forces of tyranny, oppression, and fanaticism are always at the door.

Today there is a Freemason lodge starting up in Baghdad as beacon of liberty and freedom in that war torn nation. I fitting tribute as this struggling democracy tries to get off the ground. A tradition born in the fires of the American Revolution and carried on yet today.

>> Oh it's just like the boy scout oath they'll say. We don’t really mean it. By YOUR words you will be condemned, and by your words you'll be acquitted.

Why would you care what I oath I take upon myself? My word is my bond. That is what we mean by it. At no point do we swear an oath of penalty that such a punishment would be done unto us. Instead we wish it upon ourselves. This may seem like a subtle distinction, but it an important one.

Hey, I never asked you to take the oath. I don't ask anybody to take it. I'm just explaining why I took it, and why I am comfortable with it.

One of the strong attractions people have to Freemasonry is to embrace our history and our heritage. You know that old saying, "He who forgets history is destined to repeat it." It is quite true. Within Freemasonry is encapsulated the struggle of mankind over more than 2,000 years to evolve; to reach a state where we have freedom of speech, freedom of religion, democracy, and the great benefits of science, reason, and justice. This didn't all happen by accident. I continue to study and learn the history of western civilization and, the more I do, the more I appreciate the benefits the human race has received by keeping this institution alive.

I don't care if you join it. I just want you to understand that there is absolutely nothing within it that is bad, or evil, or wrong in any way.

>>Most masons don’t even realize that they are sinning.

That's because we are not. It is not a sin to do good unto others. Jesus Christ taught me that.

>>They need to leave those desolate halls and tear them down.

No, we need to build them up. This country could do with a few more people who care more about others than just themselves, men and women who hold their word sacred and try to spread love, light, and beauty in their community.

>>IT IS THE HOUSEHOLD OF SATAN.

Sigh... this is not true. I realize you are welcome to your own opinion. However, it is simply not true my brother.

>>I can see the Master of the Lodge now, being exalted as Worshipful Master.

Yep. He sure is! And, next year, the next guy is the Worshipful Master. And, the year after that, the next guy is. It is called Democracy. Every single person gets to 'be the worshipful master'. It is a one year honorary office to acknowledge the service this man has given to his fellow man. It is truly a beautiful way to do things.

>>Havent they told you how during the 3rd degree they take the place of Hiram Abiff who had been killed by jebule, jebula, and jebulo because they desired to know the SECRET name of God?

Of course. I am a Master Mason. However, this story is allegory, and not meant to be interpreted in a literal fashion which you seem to be doing.

>>How he was buried under the acacia tree and that Solomon raised him back to life by the STRONG GRIP OF THE LIONS PAW?

Yes, so what it your point? It is a very ancient story. I find it quite noble.

>>SOLOMON RESSURECTED HIRAM ABIFF THEY BELIEVE AND TEACH.

Hmmm...I've been through the 3rd degree ceremony many times and I never once saw a resurrection. Not once. I saw a body (yes, that is, symbolically, a dead body) symbolically raised an reburied in a grave.

I'm pretty sure that doesn't meet anyone's definition of 'resurrection'.

>>How satanic is that.

Not the tiniest bit at all.

>>Yeah just a bunch of good old boys-just like the mafia-fine crowd to be around

I hope you feel better now. The 'mafia' like crowd I hang around with is conducting a raffle to raise money for a scholarship in our community. We are raising money for a senior citizens center. We rang the bell for the salvation army last month. We run a fund raiser for the boy scouts. We hosted a dinner for the widows in our community.

This is 'what I do' in my lodge meetings every two weeks. I belong to the Shrine where I raise money to help children who suffer from crippling disease or terrible burns.

I know you only want to believe something 'bad' is going on. However, it is my right (because I am blessed with freedom of speech in this nation, a right bought for me by freemasons) to point out that it simply isn't true.

Live in peace my friend.


Comments

Anonymous said…
i dont care wat circumstance i will go through .........all i need is to join this.
My vision is to be a powerful young rich and respectable man with quality and attraction so pliz if u can help me out with this i will be greatful...any sascrifice am ready to take that on me.

Popular posts from this blog

Planetside Screenshots

Ten Reasons *NOT* to become a Freemason