Well, here I am in Paris and back to work. Right now my work machine is trying to sync enormous amounts of data, and it looks like it is going to be a few hours until I am even begin to be productive. So, I figured I would post a brief message about my weekend.

I spent much of the weekend lost. On several occasions I 'thought' I was going a particular direction but I was not. Even when I would refer to my map I could rarely find the name of the street I was on. On Saturday I went miles in the wrong direction to the point I was actually outside the 'inner ring'. When I entered a neighborhood that looked like cars may have been burned there recently I decided I ought to figure out where I was. I went into a hotel and that is when I found out how off track I was. I had walked so far in the wrong direction I nearly could have made it to the Eiffel tower had I gone the other way.

The trip wasn't a completely wasted exercise. I did walk through a number of outdoor markets which were kind of interesting. The final place I ended up at, before I turned around, had literally hundreds and hundreds of tables set up where people were selling trash. It was quite odd. I did find an incredible old church with amazing stained glass. I thought it had something to do with Saint Germain but, then again, half of Paris is named Saint Germain something or other, so I'm not quite sure.

Once I became 'unlost' I headed back to my hotel where it was late enough I could finally check-in. The room is incredibly tiny, not a single flat space large enough to even lay one of my suitcases flat no the floor! I have to stand them upright on the edge of the bed. I took a long nap and after I got up decided I would try to walk again. (I wanted to try the metro but couldn't figure out how to buy a ticket; the ticket agent wouldn't even try to speak to me. Which, I understand and all, but english on their ticket terminals would have been nice.) This time, map in hand, I more or less meanedered in the generally correct direction. Eventually I arrived at the backside of Notre Dame at about 6pm. Notre Dame is so beautiful from the back in the evening. I took a number of photographs but I'm sure they won't look like much. When I got around to the front of Notre Dame I saw that the front door was open and people were streaming inside. Once I got inside I realized why. It was Saturday night mass! So, I stayed for the entire mass. The solo vocalist had a voce like an angel. The choir and organ music was awe inspiring. Then the Bishop and a whole pile of priests came through with so much swinging insense that it filled the Church. The entire Mass was a tremendous experience and I am so glad I got to be there. In fact, I enjoyed it so much I may attend a few more Masses next weekend. I definitely want to attend mass a Sacre Coure next Sunday morning.

After Mass I walked over to the left bank, and spent some time trying to choose a resturant. I had a lovely meal and then took a taxi back to the hotel.

On Sunday morning, after a nice breakfast, I headed off to the Louvre. When I reached the Bastille (a huge circular interchange that joins about 300 streets), I tried to exit at the right spot. I was being quite careful, I thought, and was certain I was heading the right way. Of course, I was not. I went a couple of miles in the wrong direction but now I'm glad I did. I got to see the Republique statue and, after that, found Saint Eustach church. I am so glad I did! I attended a portion of the mass at Saint Eustache and the place is mind blowing. It is much more beautiful inside than Notre Dame. I took many, many, pictures but I am sure none will do it justice. The place is like a fantasy, a masterpiece. It was the must beautiful Church I have ever seen in my life.

I finally arrived at the Louvre where I spent about 6 hours. The Louvre is a crushing experience. 30,000 pieces of art and I'm sure this doesn't count every painting and sculpture on the walls and ceilings of the palace. Nevertheless, I'm glad I spent the time and I took many photographs; none of which will probably look any better than the ones the Louvre puts online.

After the Louvre I went to the Rodin museum briefly and then to Hospital Invilades. This is the giant gold dome you see as a central feature of Paris near the Eiffel tower. I didn't get to go inside it the last time I was in Paris and I'm glad I did now. The interior of Napoleon's tomb is beyond belief. His coffin is the size of a small house. I kid you not. It is the most outragous, over the top, expression of the absolute height of human ego on the planet.

Once again I called it an evening and took a taxi back to my hotel. I had a drink in a bar and then a nice Indian dinner and called it a night.

That brings me up to today. This evening I will be attending the Freemason meeting here in Paris. I called my sponsor and tried to find out for sure whether or not I should wear a tux. He suggested a dark suit would be more appropriate. I am relieved that I had a dark suit with me. I will post an updated message tomorrow with a report about how the meeting went. I'm hopeful that I might get invited to one or two more meetings while I am out here. It will make the trip more interesting for me if I do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Planetside Screenshots

Ten Reasons *NOT* to become a Freemason