I bought a new TV today. Ok, maybe I didn't actually 'buy' it, that remains to be seen. My old projection TV, six years old, is still holding up fairly well. It's a 55" diagonal Toshiba that is nice and bright and easy to use. However, it ain't HDTV and if you haven't seen the inside of an "Ultimate Electronics" store lately you will be blown away by the advances in TV technology.

The TV I am getting is a Mitsubish 73" widescreen HDTV model!! The manufacturer is offering a financing option where you make no payments, no money down, and no interest, for 16 months! You don't have to pay for the TV till January of 2005!?? This is no scam, this is for real. So, December of 2004, you just send them a check for the cost of the TV, drawn against savings, home-equity loan, or whatever you wish at that time. However, for 16months you enjoy and use the TV without paying one single dime.

That is simply amazing. So, what the heck, I only "promised" to buy the TV in about a year and a half. Meanwhile, it will be in my house on Wednesday. The TV offers a split screen mode that turns it into two 35" television sets. So..I can watch a show, movie, whatever, but have "the game" on a nearly full sized TV on the side. You don't need the sound to follow a football game, baseball game, or tennis match. I'm going to be in hog heaven.

The biggest challenge facing me will be how to get a high enough resolution signal into the system. My Tivo is probably gong to look like ass watching MPEG artifacts at full HDTV resolution on a 73" screen. BTW, if anyone is interested in buying my Infocus DLP350 projector relatively cheap, let me know. I won't have much use for it, other than occasionally showing a DVD outside, after this.

I am still devoted to the 16mm format and just bought the first new film in a while. I bought the 1981 version of "Huckleberry Finn" with Forest Tucker for $78 off of Ebay. My friend John Oberschelp just got a 16mm Eiki projector and I sent him a starter cartoon. I hope he enjoys the hobby as much as I have.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Planetside Screenshots

Ten Reasons *NOT* to become a Freemason