Not Fair to Brother Radcliffe



(Brother Charles Ratcliff and his lovely wife Emily)

I just posted a reply to a comment I received on my blog where I was accused of being unfair to my namesake internet brother. Apparently I was unfair in taking him to task for failing to explain his esoteric views to his unenlightened non-esoteric brethren.

The point I have to make, and believe me I do have a point, is that these self-professed esoteric Brothers who claim they cannot explain, in the English language, their beliefs, views, and interpretation of ritual and symbolism is, well, let me be frank, a load of horse-shit.

The Internet is filled with esoteric themed forums. The incredible resource 'The Internet Sacred Text Archive' is a mind expanding repository of esoteric commentary, not just on Freemasonry, but all of the worlds religions throughout history.

Amazon.com fills its virtual archives bursting to its terabyte seams with books written throughout the ages trying to illuminate and explain the 'meaning', 'history', and 'purpose' of Freemason ritual.

To be frank, I am becoming a just a tad bit annoyed with self-professed esoteric Freemasons who put on airs about holding onto hidden secrets that cannot be shared with the rest of their brethren. It comes off as arrogant, condescending, elitist, and most assuredly non-harmonious with their brothers also seeking further light.

At the risk of repeating myself, here is the most recent response to a comment on my own blog where I was accused of being unfair to a brother who almost shares my name but not my passion for spreading light to his fellow Internet brethren:

---------------------------------------------

>>That was not fair to Radcliffe.

I believe it is entirely fair, or I wouldn't have said it. I also find it mildly ironic that a fellow Brother who has almost the same name as I refuses to make any attempt to spread the light as he sees it.

I exert some effort to communicate online the ideas that I wish to share. I think it is fair to expect the same common courtesy in return; especially from my brothers in the fraternity.

I suppose I could go on an investigation and try to infer what Brother Radcliffe means by esoteric Freemasonry. Perhaps I could follow links from his weblog to pages such as the following. Is this a clue?

>>You must understand that this can not be discussed via the Internet.

I do not believe that is true. Why not? Esoteric topics, even Freemason themed ones, are discussed in numerous places on the Internet. Additionally the The Internet Sacred Text archive is simply filled with esoteric content. Should I provide you with a vast array of Internet links to esoteric themed forums to prove my point, is that really necessary? Rest assured the Internet, as well as my local bookstore, overflows with esoteric themed material.

Please follow this link: http://www.sacred-texts.com/

It is simply not true that these topics cannot, and are not discussed on the Internet. The fact of the matter is that some of the brothers who have left comments to my most recent posts simply refuse to share their personal views. They make excuses for why they will not, but these excuses fall hollow and empty.

Now, if you simply refuse to discuss your personal esoteric beliefs in public, well ok, I can accept that. Let us talk via private email, by telephone, or even in person if the distance is not too great.

>>I'm sorry that you don't see the esoteric side of the Fraternity, but please don't fuss at those that do.

The only reason I fuss at those who do is that they refuse to make any attempt to share and communicate their beliefs to their brethren. They withhold the light and offer only weak excuses as to why they cannot explain to a 'blind man how to see blue'. If you cannot understand how completely arrogant and condescending this comes off sounding, well I guess you haven't been following this discussion too closely...

Personally, I do see the esoteric side of Freemasonry. As I said before I am quite well read. What I find in my reading is that there are so many conflicting theories, opinions, and interpretions of esoterica relating to Freemasonry that it is difficult to imagine there is one singular, correct, or accurate truth.

I am quite well acquainted with esoteric topics. Did I not admit, publically, that my personal spiritual world view has been widely influenced by the writings of a disincarnate spirit entity? I think that is a pretty honest, frank, and vulnerable personal admission.

I'm not the one who has a problem discussing esoteric topics on the Internet, apparently it is you and other brethren who prefer to speak in hushed whispers of hidden secrets that cannot be expressed in language or form.

Personally, I have a higher opinion of the English language than some of you, because I believe such topics can be discussed at length and with illumination. If you recall, previously I posted a number of direct references to authors who have expounded on these topics.

>>I wish you were in my living room right now. We might could talk about it.

Yes, we might. That would be a great experience. Where is your living room located? Even if it is far away, still through the power of modern technology, a simple phone call can bring me into your living room in a moments notice.

I would be quite happy to continue this conversation with you at any time.

I feel there is a vast gulf of misunderstanding between the majority of non-esoteric active Freemasons and the small handful who believe, well lets be honest, I don't know what they really believe because they refuse to talk about it.

Yes, let us talk and make an effort to come to a better mutual understanding.

What amazes me is that not yet has a single person said which esoteric minded Freemason author most closely matches their personal beliefs.

Brother John

Comments

Anonymous said…
"occult - 1533, "secret, not divulged," from L. occultus "hidden, concealed, secret," pp. of occulere "cover over, conceal," from ob "over" + a verb related to celare "to hide," from PIE base *kel. Meaning "not apprehended by the mind, beyond the range of understanding" is from 1545. The association with the supernatural sciences (magic, alchemy, astrology, etc.) dates from 1633.

Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2001 Douglas Harper"

Yes, it is disingenuous to simply state that that the mysteries and arcane of Freemasonry (secrets is the wrong word) cannot be discussed because the mysteries entirely escape the written word. Yes, scholars and artists have written, eloquently, on the topic for centuries in cultures around the world. Yes, it is not proper for a Brother to avoid talking about the occult or the esoteric with the reasoning that it cannot be discussed through prose – though I would add to that, that personally, I lack the skill to do so with any great effect.

Yet, the nature of occult mysteries deals specifically with those elements of human experience of which words only communicate a part. The occult, like art, speaks directly to our emotive natures. A poet spends their entire life exploring, and expressing, beauty and love, and yet at the end of their life will concede that the sum of their efforts only scratches the surface of subject. An occultist, and we need to be clear, studies the ‘act of being’, and the relationships of being. And while relationships are inherently part of being (most illuminated occultists agree that we are in someway bound to each other as part of a greater being, or a web of being that is in some way intelligent) the connections between beings are not relativistic, such as those seen in the observation of external qualities (i.e. those explained through mathematics and repeated observation). Any married couple I think can attest to that.

My point in this rambling missive is this. I agree with you. But, I don’t blame them. I blame the Household of the Faithful. As Brothers, we do a very poor job at communicating “yes these topics can be discussed, experienced, and shared. If they couldn’t then a) the Craft would die on the vine b) the ‘anti-clerical’ aspect of haut-grade Masonry would be without merit (and all of us who took the 30° would be without purpose)” and “ No, it is wrong to hide behind a self created veil. Penetrate the veil (INRI)”.

So the question in my mind is this – how do we effectively change the situation?
Well spoken Brother J.

As far as how we correct the situation, I think it can only be done through direct communication and shared experience.

I know it is a tough nut to crack, I just grew frustrated with those saying they wouldn't even try.

Brother John
Wayfaring Man said…
Sir,

I get the feeling that you believe there are two ways in Masonry from reading your post, yours and the highway.

The fact that someone refuses to regard Masonry as a series of fund-raisers, green bean dinners, or amateur theatrics, or as a series of talking points in order to sell it to potential new members, and instead seeks to embrace a more faith-based experience does not constitute a "refusal to spread light." It simply appears to me that those brothers are more spiritually inclined than others.

The fact that I view Masonry with an estoreric eye does not mean that I cannot explain its virtues; I just consider it arrogance to insist that I can.

If you consider that "horse shit," so be it.
Wayfaring Man,

What I considered 'horse-shit' are claims that you cannot discuss esoteric topics with your brethren.

That's all.

Go back and read what I said. I said exactly that. I didn't say there was 'my way or the highway', I said that unless we have communication between brethren we fail to spread the light.

I keep getting told that esoteric brothers cannot, will not, or somehow refuse to communicate what they mean when referring to 'esoteric' topics.

Yet once again you have not even stated which esoteric themed Masonic author you most identify with.

It is a simple question.

Brother John
One more thing Wayfaring Man. My personal cell phone number is 314-276-2180. I would love to speak to you on this topic; even though it may not be a lodge or your living room, it is still human contact nonetheless and perhaps less misunderstanding would occur via convivial conversation.

Brother John
Wayfaring Man said…
Well, I like Manly P. Hall, although I'm aware that most of his work that I enjoy was written long before he became a member of the Craft. I have, like you, also read Pike's M & D cover to cover, but I can't say that I understand it. I find it interesting, however. Mackey - when he isn't talking about how the first Craft lodge was actually formed in the Indus River civilization or at Chichen Itza -- also interests me. But mostly, when not researching Masonic history, which is where my interests really lie - I use the things taught in lodge to reflect inwardly. This often causes me to miss my cues or to get tangled up in a rod holder, or something.

What I have been trying to say, perhaps imperfectly, is that I think it is of limited value for me to tell you what Masonry means to me, because I find it to be entirely personal and applicable only to my own self-improvement. I am certain it would not apply to you. What appears blue to me may well be your green. Do you see?

One of these days, I will call - but for the love of G-d, take your number down before the spam bots seize upon it!
Radcliffe said…
Hi John, discussing the occult is one of my favorite pasttimes. I too have a blog loaded with just about everything I believe in. My last comment was arguementative and not concise purposefully. I think that as there is no proof to any of the spiritual material that each man finds his own and is rarely swayed by anothers belief. I believe that the fraternity attracts men who are by percentage much more interested in the mysteries than other organizations.
The source that has most completely rung true for me is known as The Law of One, it is channneled material and a wealth of material is on the net in their library. I don't have any problem with any of your rebuttals. I commented on your site after all. Id be glad to flesh out any subject in the area of spiritual beliefs.

Popular posts from this blog

Planetside Screenshots

Ten Reasons *NOT* to become a Freemason

How to become a Freemason?