Freemason Fad Facade



I have been getting some very odd responses to my most recent posts. Apparently there are those Freemasons who take issue when a fellow brother describes their experience within the fraternity in a literal fashion; i.e. as drama, fellowship, and business meeting.

These brothers, apparently, find something deeper, more meaningful and, yes, ultimately 'secret' within our teachings.

I find this intriguing, make no doubt about it. Of course anyone who is attracted to our institution might hold romantic ideas about deep and mysterious secrets that are at the core of our teachings; mystic symbolism which imparts enlightenment and profound meaning.

I myself have always been a seeker in the sense that I have searched far and wide for a better understanding about life, the Universe, and everything.

What concerns me in the most recent comments on my blog are those brothers who suggest that this secret meaning cannot be explained and must only be experienced.

After having been a member of the fraternity for some years, learned a decent amount of ritual, involved in numerous organizations, initiated many members, and served in a variety of offices including Worshipful Master, I would like to think I have 'experienced' plenty by now.

On top of that, because I have an insatiable curiosity and deep desire to learn, I have consumed numerous books on the topic only to conclude that no two authors can agree what Freemasonry ritual actually 'means'.

I take serious issue with the Brother who claims they cannot explain or verbalize their experience. I can respect, somewhat, if they do not wish to post it on an open forum. That's just fine, my private email is always available and my phone number is listed in the directory. Moreover, historically speaking, hundreds of authors have attempted to discuss this topic so there is plenty of precedent for at least attempting to explain the deeper meaning behind the ritual.

The fact of the matter is that if 9 out of 10 members who are initiated never bother to become active, then we are failing rather dismally in communicating the value or benefit of staying involved in this institution; and of the 1 in 10 who stay active fewer than 1 in 100 of them could be described as 'esoteric' in their beliefs.

I voiced quite clearly what appeals to me about being active. I like the fellowship and friendship I find in the lodge. I enjoy participating in the ritual, I find it comforting and appreciate the teachings which are expressed within them. I think that this is a fairly frank, open, and honest personal assessment.

What I don't do, however, is have psychic or paranormal experiences; and that's ok. I can deal with that. I have come to realize in my life-time that many human beings have experiences that I cannot readily share; most likely due to differences in genetics, brain-wiring and neurological chemistry. That's fine by me.

Are you suggesting that Freemasonry only has meaning for 0.0001% of the population? After all, only one in ten who join stay active and, of that one and ten, I do not personally know even a single esoteric Freemason; and I know hundreds of Freemasons in my area.

What I really object to is the suggestion that a brother cannot explain what they mean about these supposed, alleged, hypothetical, 'deeper secrets'.

The one thing I pride myself in is the ability to explain things in common sense language. No matter what the experience I might have I believe I could find a way to explain that experience to another through analogy and descriptive language.

There are numerous authors who have written extensively on the topic of the deeper, or esoteric, meanings of Freemason ritual. Even if you are not comfortable expressing it yourself at least you could say 'Well, I sort of follow the writings of...." and name your favorite Freemason author.

Who is it? Is it W. Kirk MacNulty? Albert Pike? W. L. Wilmhurst? John Robinson? Joseph Fort Newton? William Bramley? Aleister Crowley? Annie Besant? C.W. Leadbeater Christopher Knight? Robert Lomas? Michael Baigent? Manley P. Hall?

Even if you won't attempt to explain it for yourself, can you not at least pick a reference? Or, can you not at least list which of these authors you think is full of shit?

I own and have read books by every single one of these authors and more. Reading them all, as well as doing extensive research into periodicals and materials from over 80 years ago, has led me to the clear conclusion that absolutely no one knows what any of the ritual or symbolism really 'means'. Everyone has a different opinion and thinks whoever holds a contrary view is likewise full of shit.

I honestly believe it is a complete and total cop-out to claim you cannot explain, or attempt to communicate, non-normal-reality experiences or deeper symbolism.

Let me give you just one example. One of my favorite authors of all time is a ghost. This is a series of books written by a disembodied spirit as channeled through a lovely young lady named Jane Roberts. I was attracted to this expansive material because this disembodied spirit, communicating though the written word, was able to explain some of the most complex and esoteric concepts imaginable in such clear and coherent language that I could easily digest it. How many ghosts have begun a chapter, titled 'The Death Experience', with a matter of fact explanation of what 'happens' in a literal and experiential fashion what it means to 'die'; what happens, where you go, what you feel, and how you deal with the situation.

So, don't tell me that you cannot explain esoteric concepts to those who have yet to experience them. Language is a beautiful thing and it is a challenge to use it to communicate and share experiences with others. To suggest you cannot do so is an admission of failure.

I know people who have seen UFOs and been able to share their experiences. I know people who have been abducted by aliens and have been able to express how this impacted their lives. I know people who have been involved in dramatic poltergeist activity and they have managed to describe it. I know people who have had profound near-death-experiences and travel the country to share their deep insight with others. I know people who have psychic and/or visionary experiences and they are able to share it within our group of friends.

I personally have had a handful of odd or paranormal experiences in my life, as well as a number of altered states of consciousness. Heck, I have even witnessed a possible miracle and I am fortunate enough to have a rich dreaming life; at times even lucid.

I can, do, will, and have attempted to verbalize and explain all of these experiences with others.

I feel as comfortable at a drumming, kirtan, or breath work as I do in a lodge setting.

My intent and purpose in the posts I make about Freemasonry is always to illuminate those who might be interested in our craft or to seek better understanding for myself. If you refuse to even try to share the light I am more than a little bit disappointed.

Let me assure you that if I ever get beamed up by a spaceship or communicate with spirit beings between this world and the next this blog will host a very entertaining and illuminating post describing the experience in as much detail as I can using the language we share.

Comments

Radcliffe said…
Bro. you are correct in suggesting that the lodge is run by regular men unconcerned about esoteric concerns. You are, in my view, incorrect thinking that Freemasonry draws regular men unconcerned with esoteric meanings. It is in the thought that most men can work and agree, that which requires us to keep to a common denominator and low.
Dear Brother Radcliffe,

Other than the part that most men involved in Freemasonry are not interested in 'esoteric' subjects, I really didn't understand what you were trying to get at.

Does part of accepting the 'esoteric' interpretation of things also mean you check your rational thought processes at the door?

The failure of esoteric minded brethren to verbalize just what the hell they are referring to has been a time worn frustration on my part. As I said before, I refuse to accept that you, or any other esoteric minded brother, cannot explain themselves in clear and cogent language.

You failed to even identify which esoteric author you most identify with. Is it Edgar Cayce; the man who made all manner of predictions that never came true and had no correlation with documented history?

John
John,

That was not fair to radcliffe.

You must understand that this can not be discussed via the Internet. I'm sorry that you don't see the esoteric side of the Fraternity, but please don't fuss at those that do.

I wish you were in my living room right now. We might could talk about it.
>>That was not fair to Radcliffe.

I believe it is entirely fair, or I wouldn't have said it. I also finding it mildly ironic that a fellow Brother who has almost the same name as I refuses to make any attempt to spread the light as he sees it.

I exert some effort to communicate online the ideas that I wish to share. I think it is fair to expect the same common courtesy in return; especially from my brothers in the fraternity.

>>You must understand that this can not be discussed via the Internet.

I do not believe that is true. Why not? Esoteric topics, even Freemason themed ones, are discussed in numerous places on the Internet. Additionally the The Internet Sacred Text archive is simply filled with esoteric content. Should I provide you with a vast array of Internet links to esoteric themed forums to prove my point, is that really necessary? Rest assured the Internet, as well as my local bookstore, overflows with esoteric themed material.

Please follow this link: http://www.sacred-texts.com/

It is simply not true that these topics cannot, and are not discussed on the Internet. The fact of the matter is that some of the brothers who have left comments to my most recent posts simply refuse to share their personal views. They make excuses for why the will not, but those excuses fall hollow and empty.

Now, if you simply refuse to discuss your personal esoteric beliefs in public, well ok, I can accept that. Let us talk via private email, by telephone, or even in person if the distance is not too great.

>>I'm sorry that you don't see the esoteric side of the Fraternity, but please don't fuss at those that do.

The only reason I fuss at those who do is that they refuse to make any attempt to share and communicate their beliefs to their brethren. The withhold the light and offer only weak excuses as to why they cannot explain to a 'blind man how to see blue'. If you cannot understand how completely arrogant and condescending this comes off sounding, well I guess you haven't been following this discussion too closely...

Personally, I do see the esoteric side of Freemasonry. As I said before I am quite well read. What I find in my reading is that there are so many conflicting theories, opinions, and interpretions of esoterica relating to Freemasonry that it is difficult to imagine there is one singular, correct, or accurate truth.

I am quite well acquainted with esoteric topics. Did I not admit, publically, that my personal spiritual world view has been widely influenced by the writings of a disincarnate spirit entity? I think that is a pretty honest, frank, and vulnerable personal admission.

I'm not the one who has a problem discussing esoteric topics on the Internet, apparently it is you and other brethren who prefer to speak in hushed whispers of hidden secrets that cannot be expressed in language or form.

Personally, I have a higher opinion of the English language than some of you, because I believe such topics can be discussed at length and with illumination. If you recall, previously I posted a number of direct references to authors who have expounded on these topics.

>>I wish you were in my living room right now. We might could talk about it.

Yes, we might. That would be a great experience. Where is your living room located? Even if it is far away, still through the power of modern technology, a simple phone call can bring me into your living room in a moments notice.

I would be quite happy to continue this conversation with you at any time.

I feel there is a vast gulf of misunderstanding between the majority of non-esoteric active Freemasons and the small handful who believe, well lets be honest, I don't know what they really believe because they refuse to talk about it.

Yes, let us talk and make an effort to come to a better mutual understanding.

What amazes me is that not yet has a single person said which esoteric minded Freemason author most closely matches their personal beliefs.

Brother John
Greg Stewart said…
Fav Authors:

Wilmhurst
Pike
ManNulty
Hall

Outside of the arean, there are a ton. Setiner isn't in the list you gave, but he's not really "masonic" as much as he's Rosicrucian, which is more of a Religious Freemasonry. Personally, I think a lot of the mystical tooth is out of Freemasonry, and the esoteric stuff is more a guide post to other philosophies. Does everyone see it? Probably not. Do they need to? Probably not. What I think happens is that we get mixed into the ancient and "mystical" fraternity and expect to find the answer, when in fact, I believe that Freemasonry is more a way to better phrase the question.

The deeper secrets, not for that you need to buy the decoder ring.

Popular posts from this blog

Planetside Screenshots

Ten Reasons *NOT* to become a Freemason

How to become a Freemason?