A may have just purchased myself a new car : Beck 550 #156 Porsche Replica







I have been thinking about getting a new sports car for the past six months or so. I was leaning heavily towards getting either an Acura NSX or a Lotus Elise. A concern I had about both of those cars is visibility. My primary requirement in a sports car is that it be a convertible. The Acura NSX does not come as a convertible but you can get a targa top which makes is almost the same. The Lotus Elise is a convertible but I have heard that rear visibility is very poor. Either of these cars would have put me in the price range of 35-40k, which is pretty high on my psychological scale of what I am willing to piss away so I can have a fun car to drive.

Meanwhile, I have been toying for years with the idea of getting a Beck Porsche 550 replica. This is not your ordinary kit car. The frame for a Beck Porshe is exactingly made just to produce this vehicle.

The engine itself is simply a small Volkswagen engine and can be inexpensively and easily maintained; unlike the exotics I was considering. I sort of think I know what I'm getting myself into as well. I owned a Ferrari 308 and an Alfa Romeo, so I have experienced some pretty raw and retro vehicles before.

So far I have a 'cell-phone verbal agreement' to buy the car. I guess plenty could still go wrong and fall through but I am hopeful this will be a smooth transaction. I like spending about half of what I was originally contemplating and owning this great retro car that is fun to drive and causes whiplash from the people you pass who are trying to figure out what they just saw.

You might wonder why I would find such a raw, retro, vehicle appealing. It has no heating, no air-conditioning, no power, no *top*, and is about as raw as you can get. I do have some experience driving raw vehicles. In the end, I don't know what could possible epxlain the appeal more than the following YouTube video of a fellow Beck owner going for a country drive.


Check out this link showing a Porsche Boxster commercial. I'm pretty much expecting to duplicate this scene any number of times in the next year.














Comments

Anonymous said…
So, did it go through?

Popular posts from this blog

Planetside Screenshots

Ten Reasons *NOT* to become a Freemason

How to become a Freemason?