Well, I haven't posted anything in a couple of weeks. Fourth of July has come and gone. After incurring over $2,500 in car repair bills I decided to just buy a new vehicle with a bumper to bumper warranty. We just purchased a brand new Nissan Frontier mid-sized truck. It has the super-crew cab, meaning it has four doors and seats five people comfortably. It generates 265 horsepower and has a 6,500 lb towing capacity. So, surely, it will pull our boat with ease. Ahhh..Our boat.. After spending the aforementioned sum of money on car repairs now our boat is broken. With the help of my friend Marty we put in new spark plugs and wires only to find out the problem was somewhere in the fuel line; either a bad filter or a bad fuel pump. So..we get to use our new truck to pull our boat out of the water and take it to a repair shop; how lovely.

When we purchased the truck we gave our ten year old Ford Windstar minivan to my father. We wouldn't have gotten much money for it and he can use it to get my mom around with her wheelchair. Meanwhile, on the same weekend, my oldest son had his car break down on him. So I gave him our Ford Focus as a loaner car.

My BWM is finally back from the shop and running well, as it should considering how much money I spent on it to fix emissions and put on new brakes and tires.

This evening I went to see Martina Hingis play in World Team Tennis. It is hard to believe she is 'retired' the way she can still play! Tomorrow I will be attending a tennis clinic and a pro-am with professional tennis players from the Saint Louis Aces. This is the main reason I purchased season tickets in the first place; I went last year and had a great time!

At work I inherited two Swiss college interns for seven weeks. I am trying to keep them as busy as I can.

Other than that there just isn't a whole lot going on. A couple of weeks ago I tried to get in a discussion with my children about quantum mechanics but they just make fun of me. So, I purchased several new books on the topic from Amazon.com. I haven't read much on this material in a long time so I figured it was good to get a refresher course. In general it was just a rehash of old material but it was still a fun exercise.

My wife, and kids, can't figure out why the heck I care so much about life, the Universe, and everything. They are bored by quantum mechanics and just seem generally uninterested. In fact, it seems to me that in general the vast majority of people don't really care much on these kinds of issues. Nevertheless, I have been obsessed on the topic for many, many, years, and I doubt I will lose my interest any time soon.

For those of you who don't know, I am a pantheist. I believe that creation is God. It isn't all that novel of a concept and it has strong parallels to the beliefs the neoplatonic philosophers, Buddhists, Hindus, and any number of other systems of thought.

However, I run into a small problem with some of my atheist friends when they object to the notion of calling the Universe 'God'. In their mind I have redefined the word to the point of removing all meaning. For some reason this actually annoys me a bit, since I feel my strong belief that reality itself is a sacred and divine act of creation is a core belief.

I get annoyed when material reductionists try to reduce creation to a pile of dirt stripped of life or meaning.

On my message forum, 'AARM' the 'Atheist Apologetics Research and Ministry' I recently made several posts trying to verbalize my feelings on this topic. Since I haven't posted anything on my blog in weeks, and my kids don't want to hear about this stuff anyway, I figured I would cross post my commentary here.

What follows is excepts from a message exchange on my forums between myself, 'Ice Monkey' and 'Metacrock'.

=========================================================================

>>IceMonkey: "Which also demonstrates its failure. Rendering terms meaningless is not a good way to explain things."

Me: I do not agree that recognizing all of creation as being a sacred mystery is somehow devoid of 'meaning'. The more we study and learn about reality through the scientific method the more profound and filled with 'meaning' does this point of view attain.

At one time we thought reality was governed by nothing more complex than Newtons laws of physics and that consciousness was little more than a random chance event without any great substance or purpose. Now we know that consciousness is deeply interwoven into the most basic fabric of reality and that our willful acts of creation have deep and profound meaning at the most fundamental level. (Bohm, Bell, Aspect)

I believe that embracing reality as a manifestation of the greatest act of creation imaginable as both divine and mysterious is fraught with deep meaning and purpose.

From a holistic or pantheist perspective, reality is divine and I completely disagree with your assertion that this philosophy renders God meaningless.



>>Metacrock: "? I assume Bohm, Bell aspect is a study? How do we know consciousness goes way down through everything? I'm not disputing it, I agree. I just want to know more."


This is based on our understanding of quantum physics. Bell's theorem states that the Universe in non-local. Bohm describes reality as having both an implicit and explicit order. The 'explicit order' is the reality we directly experience. The 'implicit' order is the base level of reality that contains all possibilities and potential within it. The unfolding of the explicit order from the implicit order is directly linked with the concept of an 'observer'. As human observers we are conscious, self-aware beings possessed with free will. This is a profound power through which we actively participate in creation through thought, word, action, and deed.

The Aspect experiment proved that Bell's theorem was in fact 'real' and not merely and abstract bit of mathematics or simple thought experiment.

There are a great number of books on quantum physics available many of which are accessible to the lay person.

>>IceMonkey: "What purpose does calling everything "god" actually serve? "

It places it into the proper context. It forms an accurate description of deity. Far too many people view the Universe as nothing more than a pile of dirt; atoms, rocks, dust, debris. A relatively cold, dead, and lifeless entity through which, random acts, produce things like life, DNA, consciousness, and other elements of complexity.

The mere fact that we exist, are self-aware and conscious is a profound thing. What is even more profound is that through our rational intellect we are able to more deeply understand God through the scientific method and its most enlightened language; that of mathematics.

This is hardly a coincidence. It is no coincidence that through mathematics and reason we can better grasp the nature of God, the Universe, reality. It is at this level that we become closest to the greatest act of creation that ever occurred, that mind blowing event we call the big bang.

The potential for thought and self-awareness, existed within the tiny mote of space that preceded the big bang. It was this core awareness which realized that were it to explode; producing reality with the set laws of physics we experience, that ultimately you and I would be here today to contemplate that great act.

To me the Universe is not a cold and lifeless pile of junk. It is vibrant, alive, creative, and awe inspiring.

When I call the Universe God I am making a profound and most serious statement of core belief.

If you do not share these views, I can understand. However, please realize that, to me, calling the Universe God is a sacred statement of belief.

>>Metacrock: "In other words to be is to be perceived?"


Correct. If you believe in the many worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics then, in a sense, God is playing a massive game of self delusion.

Nothing 'really' happens because *everything* happens; in an infinite number of parallel universes.

God is playing a game where he pretends not to know the outcome of anything so that we can have this fluid experience we call time, space, and matter. Most especially time, since at the most fundamental level it doesn't actually exist.

When Bell's theorem proposes that the Universe is non-local what is meant is that everything in the Universe is connected to everything else, completely independent of time and space. It exists in a suspended state of 'potential being' but is not realized until 'something' brings it into existence.

It only appears to have the *illusion* of a reality based on our sensory experience of it. Consciousness is the only 'real' thing and reality only exists for our amusement.

I use this analogy. Have you ever had a dream? I bet you have. Have you ever had a dream that kept you in great suspense, one filled with drama, surprise, and excitement?

I'm sure you have.

But, think, how is this possible? Your *own mind* produced the dream that caused you to be surprised. How can this be? Are you mentally ill? Are you schizophrenic? How can one part of your mind produce a rich dreamscape, replete with detailed conversations and set pieces, that causes the other part of your mind (which is experiencing the dream) to be completely surprised?

Welcome to the fundamental reality of God.

For God so loved the world he created the quantum uncertainty principle. Until God exploded in the big bang everything was possible but nothing ever happened. Once he fragmented himself into an infinite number of pieces, each of which was forgetful of the dream he was dreaming, only then did the illusion of reality come into being.

Each of us and every piece of reality is a fragment of God.

We are each a part of Gods dream.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Planetside Screenshots

Ten Reasons *NOT* to become a Freemason