Time to Slow Down



It's 85 degrees outside and it's March. In fact, it's been that way all weekend. Last weekend it was snowing.

Lord help us what it's going to be like in June when it is *supposed* to be 85 degrees!

I think I'm not sick any more. This weekend I did a bunch of stuff with the DeMolay chapter on Saturday, did yard work on Sunday, and Sunday afternoon went boating and read.

I just finished the autobiography of Benjamin Franklin by Walter Isaacson. It was very satisfying and only reinforced my high opinion of our most fatherly of founding fathers.

I have come to the conclusion that I need to slow down. I need to stop trying to do so many things. This all stems from my giving a talk at GDC where I geared myself up into a frenzy of preparation. Today I received the feedback from my talk. My score was around a 4 out of a possible 5 rating. The comments were generally positive with lots of complaints that I talked too fast, talked from a script, and my videos didn't run long enough.

None of that is particularily a surprise but it does come full circle to me asking if it was worth the trouble? I guess it was because I made a promise and I fullfilled it. The question is will I, or should I, keep volunteering for this sort of thing? It seems purely to fuel the ego and my ego needs a rest these days. I submitted two book proposals, a book chapter, and presentation last week. I have no idea what got these ideas into my head. I also rushed out an update to a piece of software.

On top of that I've got Masonic activities which include a whole bunch of DeMolay events.

I have just got to give it a rest. I need to focus on my job, my family, DeMolay, and the only big plans I should be thinking about is our summer vacation this July.

I'm pretty sure that my extended bout of semi-sickness was linked to my extended bout of trying to do too many things at once.

It's not like I want to drop out, but I just have to stop trying to do so much.

This Friday I'm taking the day off of work to spend time with my father. I think that will be a great start.

Comments

Traveling Man said…
Take it from me, you can't do god for others if you can't do good for yourself.

We all need time to recharge our batteries, and I have found that the hardest word for a Mason to say is "No".

Be well Brother, I will remember you in my supplications to Diety.
Anonymous said…
Sounds like you need a vactaion! Aye, St. Louis weather is pretty crazy! It will be blazing hot soon.

Popular posts from this blog

Planetside Screenshots

Ten Reasons *NOT* to become a Freemason

How to become a Freemason?